Text expansion buggy

a77

Reaction score
Hello,

I've searched extensively, but couldn't find a solution for this.

I rely heavily on Yosemite's (wonderful and very useful) text expansion feature on my macbook air bought in November,
but it has developed some strange problems recently: a couple of abbreviations that used to expand don't expand, or some days they do and other days not (same in all apps). Sometimes one of them will come back to life and others stop working.

Deleting and re-entering them doesn't help, as if a previously used abbreviation that didn't work can't be re-used.
Sometimes, setting a new abbreviation for the same phrase works but not always.

Everything looks fine in this file:
/Users/*/Library/Dictionaries/CoreDataUbiquitySupport/*~*/UserDictionary/*/store/UserDictionary.db

If I create a Text Substitutions.plist file from my expansions it looks fine as well.

Delete all, restart, restore from .plist backup doesn't work either.

Deleting UserDictionary.db and creating it anew didn't help (same phrases don't expand).

Is there anywhere else the abbreviations/phrases might be cached?

I admit I'm going a bit crazy from this and lots of searching yielded nothing, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

a77

Reaction score
Hi again, a quick update for anyone sharing this issue - hopefully someone else can benefit from the hours I've spent on this problem:
After 3 long conversations and screen-shares with an apple senior advisor, he was able to confirm that the problem occurs on his system as well when using my "Text Substitutions.plist" file, the file containing all expansions.
(You can create this file for backup/export by highlighting your entire list of substitutions with cmd+A in System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Text and dragging them to the desktop).

I'm afraid so far his best guess was that I have too many (174 in total) and that the feature is stable up to 128.
He was able to bring the non-functioning phrases back to life by deleting about 50 entries, leaving under 128.
He also said the issue should be addressed in an OS update, since it's a problem with the OS itself.
For now, he suggested I try the paid Text Expander software.

On a side note, if you've been trying in vain to refresh your substitutions - they are also stored on iCloud.

Deleting the entries is obviously less than perfect of course - if you've read this far, you apparently rely on this feature as much as I do, enough to research this bug.

Sorry I don't have better news for you, I hope they fix it soon!

Thanks to anyone who gave a moment to read and think about this!

a

Ask a Question