Terminal Error: pointer being freed was not allocated

Reaction score
Dear Computer Experts,

I´ve got a frustrating problem. My terminal is showing me the following error message:

Last login: Wed May 24 16:50:01 on console
login(1145,0x7fff7b9cb000) malloc: *** error for object 0x7f9984a00610: pointer being freed was not allocated
*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

[Process completed]

This is probably somehow connected to the new installation of an SSD PCI boot drive in my Mac Pro. The drive is recognised as an external, not an internal drive - an issue which other users have also posted about. I used Migration Assistant to transfer the files directly during the Installation of the operating system. I have also been having some ‘permission’ issues, and have tried to use Onyx (https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html) to repair permissions. Regretfully after about 60% the program makes no progress (even after 8+ hours).

I have additionally checked the drive in Recovery Mode - no errors were found. Any ideas?

Mac OS 10.11.6 (15G31) (El Capitan)
Mac Pro 3,1 (Early 2008) 2 x 2,8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
The Boot Harddrive: 1.0TB OWC 6G PCI SSD https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDACL6GE1TB/

many thanks for your time and expertise!

Peter

Last edited:
Reaction score
First, did this issue occur just about "immediately" after you installed the drive?

Secondly, if that drive does not come pre-formatted for use on a Mac, did you use Disk Utility to Erase and Format (and if necessary Partition) the drive? Also, does Disk Utility say the drive is OK? And, if you have a more robust disk maintenance/repair program like TechTool Pro or Disk Warrior, you should run it to look at the drive.

Third, have you contacted OWC as to why the Mac OS does not recognize the drive as internal? That would be bothersome to me.

Fourth, wonder why Onyx is taking so long. I have used its Repair Permissions feature for so long, and never had issues (I assume you are using the correct version of Onyx). Typically, though, to have all permissions repaired, I have to run that feature at least twice, even on my "small" 256 gig SSDs.

Ask a Question