Tea spill...

Reaction score
Hi there! I'm new here so thank you for taking the time read this.

My dog spilt tea down off the counter onto the side of my Macbook Pro 2011 (as it was stored vertically?!) which of course found its way into the side ports. I was out at the time so this is all I can gather has happened.

It would not turn on for some time so I removed the back panel and allowed any moisture to escape overnight.

Since then, it will turn on, however, if allowed to go into standby or if the screen is closed it will shut off and I need to start it up again.

Also, I discovered last night that the fireport is not sending a signal to my tv when used with a HDMI adaptor lead.

As far as i'm aware that is the extent of the problems. I'm not tech savvy so identifying what has been damaged and what could possibly be rectified is beyond me. However, I would like to if any hardware could be replaced without needing to take it to Apple and have them abuse me.

So, if anyone has any thoughts I would be sincerely grateful as I really cannot afford to be without it/pay a premium for a repair.

Many thanks
Richard

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It sounds like the main logic board and other components have been damaged by the spill. It isn't a user-serviceable computer, so it will require a trip to either an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider for repair. Depending on what is damaged, the cost would be in the neighborhood of $1240 USD for a flat rate Tier 4 repair. Honestly, at this point it will probably be more cost effective to simply purchase a new MacBook Pro, as it may be partially working now, but will eventually fail altogether.

Sorry for the bad news,

C

Ask a Question