Storage problems

Reaction score
I purchased the new macbook pro back in November and it's been working great. It started feeling a bit sluggish once I've started working on more photos and videos for clients. I've cleaned my drive, removing old files, and transferring over files to an external drive once I've finished projects. I've also uninstalled some software I don't use, Garageband, iMovie, etc. to clean up hard drive space in hopes to keep performance at top-notch.

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 2.29.26 PM.png

When I open up my computer info to manage storage, it's giving me an inaccurate representation. I wanted to know if there was a fix for this. Thanks!

Reaction score
If there is 300GB available, then the bar should look more empty than it does now. it's showing that it is 3/4 full rather than 3/4 empty.

The graphic you posted above shows 336 GB available, out of 499 gig total. Not sure why the graphic display is not showing more than 1/2 available. Mine looks fine.

Reaction score
The graphic you posted above shows 336 GB available, out of 499 gig total. Not sure why the graphic display is not showing more than 1/2 available. Mine looks fine.
That's what I'm afraid of. I don't know what to trust more the visual representation or the number or neither. It jumped from 150 to 300. It looks more like 150GB are free but my mac won't show me accurately.

Reaction score
Maybe try the following two things:

1. While on the desktop, click once on the icon for your internal drive, then navigate to the File Menu, and select Get Info. That will tell you how much free space you have.

2. Launch Disk Utility, and select your "boot" disk. Assuming you only have one (visible) partition, this will also show how much free space you have on it.

Oh, and just out of curiosity, what Mac OS are you running?

Reaction score
Maybe try the following two things:

1. While on the desktop, click once on the icon for your internal drive, then navigate to the File Menu, and select Get Info. That will tell you how much free space you have.

2. Launch Disk Utility, and select your "boot" disk. Assuming you only have one (visible) partition, this will also show how much free space you have on it.

Oh, and just out of curiosity, what Mac OS are you running?

I'm on high sierra. I looked at those and it represented it more accurately! It also just started randomly showing it properly in the storage tab under about this mac. Thank you!

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I looked at my drive spec window and it says I have 5.81GB iTunes files. This is wildly inaccurate because I know I have almost 22GB files in my iTunes library.

Ask a Question