Storage loss after re-installation of 10.5.1

Reaction score
Due to a couple of nasty issues I have recently had to do a couple of re-installations of 10.5.1. However each time I seem to have lost approx 8GB of storage. I notice on my HD that I have a folder called Previous Systems which has two further folders in with dates of the re-installations. Is this something to do with the problem? Incidentally I accidentally hit compress 'Previous Systems' but it would let me do it as despite being the administrator I didn't have the right permissions.

Any help gratefully received as I'm desperately low on storage.

Thanks,

Aid

Running Intel Mac core duo

Reaction score
Due to a couple of nasty issues I have recently had to do a couple of re-installations of 10.5.1. However each time I seem to have lost approx 8GB of storage. I notice on my HD that I have a folder called Previous Systems which has two further folders in with dates of the re-installations. Is this something to do with the problem? Incidentally I accidentally hit compress 'Previous Systems' but it would let me do it as despite being the administrator I didn't have the right permissions.

Any help gratefully received as I'm desperately low on storage.

Thanks,

Aid

Running Intel Mac core duo
Hello, It sounds like you did a couple of "Archive And Installs". If you have a backup of all your important files, you might want to consider popping in the installation disc again but instead of choosing "Archive And Install", choose "Erase And Install".

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Walrus - much appreciated. Yes, I did do an 'archive and install' so dim question but does an 'erase and install' actually delete all your files or are just suggesting ensuring a back up just in case it goes wrong? (Should be in receipt shortly of an external HD so can use time machine, which'll make me more comfortable either way).

Strange thing about this is that if I add together the storage of each element on my HD it comes to approx 115GB not the 158GB that I've apparenty used??!! The 115GB isn't a million miles away from what I had before I encountered 'issues' (Incidentally I had a boot loop, then after archive and install realised that DVD Player 'wasn't there' so had to do another 'archive and install'.

The situ is getting serious as I haven't even enough storage to do my upgrades and I've deleted everything possible.

Hope there's some further assistance out there.

Cheers,

Aid

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Walrus - much appreciated. Yes, I did do an 'archive and install' so dim question but does an 'erase and install' actually delete all your files or are just suggesting ensuring a back up just in case it goes wrong? (Should be in receipt shortly of an external HD so can use time machine, which'll make me more comfortable either way).

Strange thing about this is that if I add together the storage of each element on my HD it comes to approx 115GB not the 158GB that I've apparenty used??!! The 115GB isn't a million miles away from what I had before I encountered 'issues' (Incidentally I had a boot loop, then after archive and install realised that DVD Player 'wasn't there' so had to do another 'archive and install'.

The situ is getting serious as I haven't even enough storage to do my upgrades and I've deleted everything possible.

Hope there's some further assistance out there.

Cheers,

Aid
When you do an "erase and install", it will erase everything on the hard drive and install a new operating system. In my opinion, this is the best way to install the O.S. because it gets rid of all the "bad stuff" that was on the hard drive before that was more than likely causing the problems to begin with. So, if you decide to do this, of course you'll want to back up your files to a disc so you can place them back on your Mac after the installation process.

Reaction score
As I suspected Walrus. Well I have 90GB of music so backing it up ain't easy.....that said I have an external HD on its way so heree's what I think I ought to do (please correct me if there is a flaw in my plan!)......

Copy and paste my music files to the external HD (already put non-music files on disc) but not use it as Time Machine just yet, then ..... do an 'erase and install' then put my files back on the Mac's HD, clear my external HD then set up the external HD for Time Machine. My guess is this'll make the Mac fully 'clean' again.

Oh, and then save furiously for a new Mac with oodles of storage which I might achieve before the next millennium!!

Reaction score
As I suspected Walrus. Well I have 90GB of music so backing it up ain't easy.....that said I have an external HD on its way so heree's what I think I ought to do (please correct me if there is a flaw in my plan!)......

Copy and paste my music files to the external HD (already put non-music files on disc) but not use it as Time Machine just yet, then ..... do an 'erase and install' then put my files back on the Mac's HD, clear my external HD then set up the external HD for Time Machine. My guess is this'll make the Mac fully 'clean' again.

Oh, and then save furiously for a new Mac with oodles of storage which I might achieve before the next millennium!!

That sounds like a good plan to me. Of course, you can copy folders and files to your external hard drive by dragging and dropping them over the external hard drive's icon or window as well.
After you install the OS, I recommend updating to 10.5.2 by clicking on "Software Update" (the second tab underneath the apple on the menu bar) and then repair permissions. Now you're in business. :)

Ask a Question