Startup or RAM problem

Reaction score
Not very up on how my Mac works 100% using a iBook G4, OS X 10.4.7, 800MHz PowerPC G4 processor with 256Mb DDR SDRAM.

The problem I have is yesterday while using the internet (Mozilla Firefox v1.5.0.6) when the system slowed down to such an extent that it stalled for a good few minutes and I had to force it to power down.

Since then it's been on a complete go slow, at times it won't boot up and other times it boots but slowly. Also it slows down completetly so that even basic functions take ages!

So far have updated OS X and run first aid a few times..... does anyone have any ideas what to do? Really stuck at the moment as I rely on this system to work on images!

Sorry if this post is a duplicate of someone elses but had a quick look and couldn't see this question answered anywhere!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Hi and welcome.

First, I would try running Disk Utility and repairing disk permissions. Also, try clearing out the cache in Firefox.

You can always test to see if it's a software issue by creating a test user account and logging into it to see if the issue happens with that account as well.

C

Reaction score
Hi and welcome.

First, I would try running Disk Utility and repairing disk permissions. Also, try clearing out the cache in Firefox.

You can always test to see if it's a software issue by creating a test user account and logging into it to see if the issue happens with that account as well.

C

Hi Cory and thanks!

Ok, cleared the cache out a while ago so think that may not be it (Firefox as well as everything else is taking ages to do things). Have run Disk utility and repaired the permissions a few times sine I cleared out ther cache and it doesn't seem to have made a difference. Some permissions were repaired just after the OS X update.

So still at the same place, will try the user account suggestion next.

Makes me feel cheeky for pushing, but, any idea what it could be if it's not a software issue (i.e. if creating a seperate account and it still persists)?

Reaction score
Ah created another account and the system acted in the same way. So still on a go slow.

Reaction score
Further to my last post.....

The system is now worse (just taken me 20mins to get online as it's so slow).

It take 5 minutes to startup sometimes longer... also the hard drive noise happpens in spurts rather than being constant. Mixed in with the hard drive noise there's also a beep type noise which randomly happens.

This iBook has been through a lot (2 trips to Iraq) and I reallly don't want it to die now back in the UK :)

If anyone can help me get this sorted.... I dunno I'll sell them my wife for a knock down price!!:tongue::rolleyes:

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

try booting into Single user mode...and then run FSCK.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hold down the command + s keys whilst restarting, this will boot you into single user mode...

Once it comes up follow the instructions that come up to run FSCK...

You screen will say something like this:

If you want to make modifications to Files:

/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /

If you wish to boot the system, but stay in single user mode:

sh /etc/rc

localhost:/root#

When you see the bottom line type in:

Code:
/sbin/fsck -fy

then press return.

Now wait till the prompt comes back, normally at least 10 minutes !

Then type:

Code:
reboot

Then press return.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let us know how you get on after that.

Also, how much free space have you got on your drive ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric, thanks for that one, will try it in the afternoon when I get back tomorrow.

Currently have 10-11Gb free and I think I've backed everything up now.

Having to use a PC way to much at the moment!

Reaction score
Ah the HD died..... spoke to someone from Apple and described the symptoms in full.

Died as I was copying the libraries over.

Sending it to http://www.macupgrades.co.uk hopefully to get it sorted.

RIP my HD.. survived 2 wars only to die back in the UK! Thanks for the advice guys! Glad to know that there's people out there who can help!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

No prob...sorry to hear about your drive. Hope you didn't lose too much info.

That would definitely cause the issues you were experiencing.

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory, now have a new HD, don't think I lost much at the moment.

Now have a new 40Gb HD with OS X 10.2 on it and a bit unsure of how to install 10.4 from the CDs I have. (presentlly searching the forums for an answer).

Quite frustrating having my Mac back but unable to do a lot of the things I'm used to!

Reaction score
A friend lent me his backup versions of his OSX 10.4, but it would apear there's a problem with the discs.

Wil probably wait until I can afford to purchase my own set now.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

glad you got it sorted, sort of !

It was probably all that sand that got to it, or heat stroke...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hey ric,

Yeah almost sorted, have just had 10.4 installed so am about 90% of the way to recovering my OS as it was, just have to get my editing software back on here and I'm done.

Thanks to all for the speedy replies and advice!!

Will be back soon when I mess something else up on here!! ;)

Ask a Question