Random Prgrams Open on startup?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been experiencing a difficulty with some Macbooks (Intel based with 10.4.9). It seems that when they start up they're fine, but when users log into them, random programs open up. It's only one per start up, but it does it every time. I'm not sure what to do about it.. I've run /sbin/fsck -fy and it found nothing wrong, and everything run's fine. It's just a nuissance to have to close those programs every time you log in.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi there,

What programs open up? Has it always done this from day one, and, if so, have you contacted Apple over the issue?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

as Kyomii asks "What programs open?"

There are different ways that programs open Automatically, have a look in System Preferences-->Accounts-->Login Items to see if there are any Applications added in there...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for the response :)

No, the programs haven't always started up. It's mainly been programs from the Office for Mac software. Either Word, Power Point, or Excel.

One of the computers however now has iMovie starting up as well. I haven' checked the System Preferences-->Accounts-->Login path yet, but I will ASAP; I have also not contacted Apple yet. I was hoping to solve the issue before having to call them. :) I just think it's strange that it's only random computers, and it's random programs.

Thanks.

Reaction score
If these programs are on the dock, it is possible *open at login" has been accidentally ticked, which would explain the random programs.

It is a common occurence with new users to do this accidentally - just click and hold down the mouse within the dock on the icon of the program that is launching at startup - when the menu pops up, see if launch at login is ticked, and if so, just click on the launch at login words to untick it.

Alternatively, you can do as Ric suggests also :)

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case, seeing as how it's little kids that use them. I'm kind of new to the Mac world as well. :) I'll definitely look into this. Thanks!

Ask a Question