SSD Freeze

Reaction score
I have a mid 2014 MacBook Pro running high Sierra with 480gig ssd. The drive freezes after 30 seconds and I can't retrieve data. I tried disk utility but the drive is unresponsive. I had a new drive installed and have tried to access the old drive as an external drive but the response from the drive is the same. Any suggestions for how to retrieve data would be greatly appreciated.​

Reaction score
Assuming you do not have a robust disk cleanup/maintenance/repair program like Tech Tool Pro or Disk Warrior, you might give Data Rescue a try. Some folks on these forums have made positive comments about it. You can get it form here (and use it in demo mode):

https://www.prosofteng.com/mac-data-recovery/

I do have a question, though. How did you upgrade to High Sierra? Did you do it "in place", ie, have High Sierra basically overwrite what was on your system already? Or did you do a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation?

Also, what version of High Sierra are you using? V10.13.2 came out a couple of weeks ago.

Finally, what brand is the SSD, and how old is it?

When you "install" High Sierra, it reformats internal SSDs as APFS (Apple File System), which is new. I have Samsung SSDs inside both of my Macs, and so far, I am not having any issues (except for speed with starting up/switching start up devices/switching back to starting up form my internal SSD).

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had a new 480g ssd drive put in by the local computer guy. He did the install so I don't know much about the process. I've shipped my old SSD in for repair so I can't tell you the brand. I'm hoping to have access to my data from the old drive and transfer it on to the new drive in the old computer. The new drive seems pretty functional.

Reaction score
When you say "I've shipped my old SSD in for repair", what does that mean? The shop would need to be careful about not destroying any of the data on the SSD that you want to recover.

Ask a Question