Speedy - Is it Malware?

Reaction score
We use several Apple devices, iPhone, iPads, MBAs on our home network. The displays on each device recently began to speed up (abnormally) in an erratic, herky-jerky fashion, almost anticipating moves. It occurs mostly when online and primarily during work hours, though sometimes when not online. It makes me feel as if someone is observing or possibly recording. Could this be due to recent updates, a setting in the network or on devices, or from the ISP. Hopefully, it’s not malware???

Reaction score
Scan the devices with anti malware software like MalwareBytes. That’s the only way you are going to know.

Reaction score
@maw_walker, Hi again, from network posting. I thought that maybe someone in off-topic might pick up on this?‍

Actually, I did run MWB and Intego, and ‘Little Snitch’ but all came back okay=&. BTW, This phenomenon shows up on my I-watch as well!
FWIW, I’m considering a consult with Machome.com - any thoughts? Thanks & regards from Atlanta, GA.

Reaction score
If MWB and Intego have latest signatures and did not pick up malware, then it is something else. Little snitch is not a malware scanner: it just watches network traffic so you can control or see what goes outbound by application.

Does your Apple Watch have this behavior when it is away from your home? Same with your phone, when away and on cellular data, does it exhibit the same behavior?

Are you using ethernet over power line by any chance? Just curious on that. I have no idea what the issue is; just looking for commonality and there is nothing common except the network connection when on a home lan.

Reaction score
If MWB and Intego have latest signatures and did not pick up malware, then it is something else. Little snitch is not a malware scanner: it just watches network traffic so you can control or see what goes outbound by application.

Does your Apple Watch have this behavior when it is away from your home? Same with your phone, when away and on cellular data, does it exhibit the same behavior?

Are you using ethernet over power line by any chance? Just curious on that. I have no idea what the issue is; just looking for commonality and there is nothing common except the network connection when on a home lan.
IMHO, you are asking the right questions, especially the watch when away. I’ll check. My real objective is to prove whether or not there’s a bad guy accessing my network, either through software or hardware, then reset everything. When hacked in June maybe we removed the active criminals but they left something connected in the servers or router or a piece of software code remains? (I am tech-savvy from experience but not IT trained so I have to learn critical path by trial and error=&Maybe an online cyber security course?)

Reaction score
I'll say it again: you will never know if someone is on your network without looking at your network traffic. A cyber criminal will never display their presence, nor will their presence be revealed by some sort of visual anomaly on a display screen. If you had a virus before, that is not being "hacked", that is a human network user clicking on a link or installing something they shouldn't have.

You keep mentioning servers; is this a home lan or a business? Most home networks do not host servers and if you are hosting servers with external access, that changes the landscape and possible attack vectors.

Reaction score
It’s a home network, simple setup from Comcast, I-net home package = I-net, phones, TV. They provide zero help! I have changed modems 3 times for new IP. I read where attackers can and do commandeer a server or a router, leading me to question their role, albeit not knowing the communication flow. For example, the hack actually started on one device and migrated to all on my networ.
‘please note: the hacker actually changed text on my iPhone in real time, i.e. changing the message as I typed! Further, they interfered with my inserting license codes into anti-malware software. IOW, they had control of my computer in real time! The only symptoms correlation I could find was Pegasus software and cloning - for which Apple issued new software, initially IOS 14.8. [BTW, I am willing to pay for IT consult IF I could find the appropriate person. I’ve tried but most are enterprise oriented, not home; and Apple consultants do what I do - execute SOP. Very frustrating!]

Reaction score
<<you will never know if someone is on your network without looking at your network traffic.>>

Can I do this or special tools need?

Reaction score
It turns out others were right, mostly. I hired a 30-year IT veteran and he confirm that my “unusual speed” is a connection that most people dream of - working the way it was designed! Somehow, I had cleaned out the items causing a much slower connection and got a clean connection. This new speed was baffling to me and it was pursuant to my being hacked. I then cleaned out all devices by multiple disc erasures and new system installations. This resulted in my concern of a third party continuing to have access!

Ask a Question