SOLVED Malware protection for OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

Reaction score
Hi , I have the above early 2015 MacBook. I was looking to download MalwareBytes but I require El Capitan or later. My system doesn't have any more updates available. 2 questions:
1. Appreciate 2015 is getting on but would it be right to assume no further system updates would be available?
2. If right, any suggestions on which malware protection may be suitable?
Thanks all.
Dave

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

The MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015), if that is your model, supports up to the latest version of macOS Catalina 10.15.5. There may not be any updates for OS X Yosemite 10.10.5, but you can upgrade to a newer version of macOS. Only Catalina is available directly in the App Store, but there are links to upgrade to other newer versions on Apple's website. If you do upgrade to a newer version of macOS, you will probably have to update/upgrade any third-party applications as well, and most of those will be paid upgrades.

I don't know of any malware applications that are still available that will work with Yosemite due to its age.

If you want to explore upgrading OS X/macOS, let us know which third-party applications you have, and we can help you out.

C

Reaction score
Thanks very much Cory that is really helpful. I’ll upgrade to Catalina as a start.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...

Make sure you double-check any applications you use frequently before upgrading, as they may not work under Catalina.

Let us know if you have any additional questions and how it goes.

C

Reaction score
No worries...

Make sure you double-check any applications you use frequently before upgrading, as they may not work under Catalina.

Let us know if you have any additional questions and how it goes.

C
Thanks again Cory; how do I check (before upgrading) whether the applications I do use will operate under Catalina?

Reaction score
Thanks Cory. The most common one is (Apache) Open Office 4.0.1 2013. Calendar version 8; SKype but It's really only Open Office that I would have major problems with if I couldn't access it. I also have an imac 10.10.5 on OS X Yosemite 2011. Don't know if I need to take any action to ensure ongoing synchronisation with the macbook if I upgrade. Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question