Malware/Adware/Virus Detection Software

Reaction score
I just saw this on www.macworld.com:

I (and others) have consistently recommended downloading and running the excellent product Malwarebytes:

It does an effective job in detecting malware and/or adware.

For an anti-virus program, I have recommended (and use) ClamXAv:

For myself, it does a very good job of detecting viruses.

However, Malwarebytes is not meant to be run in the background, and I believe the same is true for ClamXAV. Hence, I run them occasionally.

In contrast, just about all that software in the cited review run in the background, and on some of these forums, there have been valid statements about such software causing issues.

So, I'm wondering what others think. Of course, the "best" way to stay safe is 1) do not open any kind of attachment to an EMail (unless you know the sender and their reputation), 2) do not visit any "malicious" web sites, and 3) just like #1, do not click on any questionable/suspicious links on a site, unless again you know it is OK. However, even with all that, sometimes nefarious things "sneak" onto one's system.

Ask a Question