Sound Problem

Reaction score
My friend just gave me her old Mac OSX 10.5.8. Everything is fine except there is no sound except at start-up and shut-down. I've tried using the internal speakers and 2 sets of external speakers to no avail. I've checked everything I could think of - all the speakers are turned all the way up, and everything I've checked says "this device is working properly." I've tried 2 CD's, Windows Media Player, Real Player, iTunes, and YouTube. I still can't hear anything. Does anyone have any suggestions? What am I doing wrong? I checked with the previous owner, and he says the sound was working fine. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
System Preferences > Sound > Output select the correct output source.

Also check the Mute checkbox.

Reaction score
Hi,

Check that the mute box is not checked (system preference > sound > output tab) and settings are as my screen shot.

Edit: You type faster than me Kaveman.:D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-03 at 18.46.34.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-03 at 18.46.34.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 274
Reaction score
Did everything that was suggested way back. All is well now on the Mac side, as I discovered in my searching that I needed to plug my speakers into the earphone jack and select earphones as default and the sound is fine. However, still can't get any sound out of the Windows drive which is the one I use most. All sound is turned on and way up - no mute buttons checked. Any suggestions? Thanks. Nora

Ask a Question