Sony HDR SR5HE HDD + IMOVIE 08 =

Reaction score
Looked into buying a HDD camera checked out Apples website and it states that imovie 08 is compatible with USB camcorders that video in AVCHD format ... found that i liked the Sony and bought one on XMAS eve .... Videoed the kids with their pressies and tried to download it this morning to no avail ... The Mac recognised the camcorder on the desktop but IMOVIE wouldnt open up ..... Disapointed i went to my local APPLE store and hooked it up to one of theirs and hey presto if you opened up imovie and then turned the camera on it recognised it. I came home and tried again but nothing .... i,m running exactly the same system and IMOVIE 08 as the Mac at the store ..... I have no idea why it wont work .... pls help

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
daplume, try using a new or already created User Account to see if this is a User issue or a System wide one. Did the AppleStore use the cable that came with your camera? Can you think of anything that may have pre-empted this issue?

Reaction score
Sorry 1st post and haven,t really used forums b4 .. but thx for advice on that .... Yeh the store used exactly the same cable that i used ..... i just cant understand it i feel quite dissapointed in apple as the IMOVIE 08 clearly states it accepts AVCHD formats ...... and i really like the camera .... the only thing i suppose i can really do is take my Mac into the shop and show them as i cant think of anything else ???

Reaction score
Thx very much but i am at work until midday so will hopefully be home about 1.30 ish ...... very kind would that sort of time suit you ?

Reaction score
Make sure you put the camcorder in play mode and also select USB/HDD from the camcorder menu first.

Reaction score
My camcorder doesn,t give me this option and i also took 2 photos using the camera and they went straight into i photo with no problems ?? thx for info

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi, can you tell me your Mac and it's specs, along with the OS version, please?

Also does your cam connect via FireWire or USB?

Ask a Question