Problem with my Sony DVMC-DA1 Media Converter

Reaction score
Hello all! I have a TON of Hi8 tapes from the 90's of family footage and other random stuff. I want to digitize them. I have a Sony video Hi8 player I borrowed from a friend, an old Sony DVMC-DA1 Media Converter, a MacBook Pro from 2008 with OS 10.7.5, iMovie '09, and a 4pin Firewire to 9pin Firewire. The computer will not recognize the converter. Am I missing something with iMovie or Image Capture, or is the cable not the right one? Any insights, help, brutal honesty...would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks so much in advance.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

From what I remember and have seen recently, the Sony DVMC-DA1 Media Converter is not compatible with OS X. The newer model Sony DVMC-DA2 Media Converter is.

-Which Sony Hi8 player? Does it happen to have a FireWire port?

I will continue to research this. You may have to purchase/use a newer video input device to connect the Hi8 player through.

C

Reaction score
Cory...thank you so much for taking the time to try and help. I greatly appreciate it! I am hoping to not have to purchase new hardware as $ is a little tight right now. But it is important to me to archive these memories, so if that is the path I need to take. My friend lent me a Sony EVO-550H. It too is older, so it has no digital outputs. Once again, thank you so much for your time and willingness to see if you can help!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, looks like you will need some form of video capture input device. Here are a few that may work:

Elgato Video Capture - $79.22 at Amazon.com
Diamond VC500MAC Video Capture USB 2.0 For MAC - $38.97 at Amazon.com

You would be able to connect the S-Video and audio cable from the Sony EVO-550H Professional Hi8 Player to either of those, then to your Mac via USB. They are reasonably inexpensive. I have used different Elgato products in the past and they worked well.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question