Some "Basic" iPad Questions

Reaction score
I need to ask some "basic" iPad questions, so please excuse such basics. I also will mention a couple of Mac-related things that hopefully can be similar on an iPad.

So, here goes.

First, I plan on buying the Wi-Fi version of the current 9.7" iPad. It will be a birthday present for my wife, and she will use it primarily when we travel for watching Korean videos, either on an airplane, or when we are somewhere and she just wants to watch something (such is not needed at home, as she has plenty of options via our TV "package" with Comcast). I can see there is a headphone jack on it, which is good. I also understand that Apple includes a Lightning to USB cable, which (I believe) is also good.

Second, with all that, I need to know the following:

A. I assume a USB Flash drive can be connect on the "USB" end of the included cable. Is that correct? Similarly, what about an external hard drive (actually an SSD) via a USB connection? Additionally, what kind of formats are acceptable to iOS for a USB Flash Drive, or a partition on an external drive?

B. I assume apps like Google Chrome, VLC, etc. are available for the iPad. If so, how do we get them (from the App store, or via an internet connectIon and the applicable website? For example, I see where VLC can be downloaded for the iPad.)? Along a similar vein, how does one install such apps?

C. Speaking of an internet connection, will the iPad/iOS "find" our home network I have set up via my internet service with Comcast? (I know my MacBook Air, and our Samsung 65" Smart TV, found it fine).

D. Where can I get "educated" about iOS? How similar is it to the Mac OS (and High Sierra in particular)?

E. What backup software is available for the iPad/iOS? Is there something similar to SuperDuper!?

F. Finally (for now), how does one access a "keyboard" (hopefully a built-in app, or one I can download)?

I would appreciate any assistance!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Most of your questions I can't answer, but I can shed some light on question 'F'. One year for Mother's Day, I bought a device for my wife for her iPad. I can't remember the brand name, but I got it at either Staples or Office Max. It consisted of a 'cover' that the iPad would slip into that had a built in keyboard that would link up with the iPad via bluetooth. When set-up and unfolded it resembled a laptop. Hope this helps a little.....
Ray

Reaction score
E. Backup is built in, you can backup to iTunes or iCloud.

C. Tap the 'Settings' icon choose 'wi-fi', a list of available networks will display choose your network and you will be prompted for your password.

Reaction score
Most of your questions I can't answer, but I can shed some light on question 'F'. One year for Mother's Day, I bought a device for my wife for her iPad. I can't remember the brand name, but I got it at either Staples or Office Max. It consisted of a 'cover' that the iPad would slip into that had a built in keyboard that would link up with the iPad via bluetooth. When set-up and unfolded it resembled a laptop. Hope this helps a little.....
Ray

Thanks for the information.

Reaction score
E. Backup is built in, you can backup to iTunes or iCloud.

C. Tap the 'Settings' icon choose 'wi-fi', a list of available networks will display choose your network and you will be prompted for your password.

I was reading about backups, and quite a few discussions were about backing up using iTunes or via iCloud. But can backups be either to a flash drive or an external drive?

Reaction score
I was reading about backups, and quite a few discussions were about backing up using iTunes or via iCloud. But can backups be either to a flash drive or an external drive?
I don't think there is an easy way to do that. The iPad does not have a file structure like a mac or pc.

Reaction score
I don't think there is an easy way to do that. The iPad does not have a file structure like a mac or pc.

OK, thanks. From what I understand, though, doing the backup with iTunes makes a backup on the internal drive. The model I want to buy only has a 32 gig internal drive (there is the 64 gig model, but given how the device will be used, not much need for the extra space (along with it costing more)).

Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and purchased an iPad 9.7 inch model (WiFi only) from Best Buy. They had a decent sale recently ($50 off), and I also had a $25 Best Buy gift card, and two Certificates for "large" purchases recently made. The two certificates totaled $25. Thus, with tax, I got the iPad for $258.

It is definitely easy to use, and I have already added some apps to it, via the App Store. One thing that did disappoint me is that one cannot watch movies/videos/TV series, etc. that are on a Flash Drive. Yes, I understand that I can purchase an Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...=aos-us-kwgo-pla-btb--slid--product-MD821AM/A

And there a version of the excellent VLC Media Player for an iPad. But the setup on a Mac (copy whatever video files to the Flash Drive, then launch VLC to watch them) does not work on an iPad. What needs to be done is that such files need to be "streamed" from a Mac to the iPad. There is an excellent app called VLC Streamer Helper, available for both the Mac and the iPad, that can accomplish this. And such videos files that are streamed to the iPad can be stored there, and watched later with VLC Streamer Helper. But I was really hoping to use the flash drive "method" like on my Mac.

Ask a Question