Sleeping hdmi?

Reaction score
new mac mini m1. driving 2 mirrored monitors..I went through a hdmi hub, but the mac kept waking up from a sleep and not connecting...read that this is common? now have usb C to first monitor and hdmi to second. ideas?

thanks in advance!

Reaction score
new mac mini m1. driving 2 mirrored monitors..I went through a hdmi hub, but the mac kept waking up from a sleep and not connecting...read that this is common? now have usb C to first monitor and hdmi to second. ideas?

thanks in advance!
Michael, from you description, I assume that one monitor is connected to Thunderbolt/USB-C and the other to the HDMI output of the Mac. Does the (HDMI) monitor have any other input aside from HDMI (like USB-C or DisplayPort)? I try my best to avoid HDMI when possible but I have had to try it because of the recent Monterey bug not connecting to multiple monitors. Anyway, the HDMI output of the M1 mini is HDMI 2.0 (I don’t know why Apple did not go with 2.1 which was the newest version when the M1 mini was manufactured). Also, make sure your HDMI cable is at least ver. 2.0 compliant.

Does the second monitor (HDMI) also have USB-C or DisplayPort input? If so, you could try connecting both monitors to the Thunderbolt ports of the mini, just to test it. If you need the second port for another peripheral, you can get a hub or dock to expand your ports. Anyway, for now, this is just to test if the dual-display setup will work properly aside from using HDMI.

My other question is why mirrored output?

Reaction score
hi thanks for taking the time to reply

currently i am using

#1 usb c on mini with hdmi adaptor to dvii monitor
# 2 hdmi on mini to hdmi adaptor to dvii monitor

mirroring is because i am teaching drums and student has mirrored monitor

i am using this setup because when i went from hdmi on mini to a hdmi powered hub, the main display kept awaking from sleep in a non cooperative way..also pinkish screen

to further complicate this...i want to use both monitors with a win pc. also...not at the same time.......so i have a multi adaptor that is only vga...so i would need to adapt backwards from vga to the mini somehow....haven't tried that yet!

Reaction score
hi thanks for taking the time to reply

currently i am using

#1 usb c on mini with hdmi adaptor to dvii monitor
# 2 hdmi on mini to hdmi adaptor to dvii monitor

mirroring is because i am teaching drums and student has mirrored monitor

i am using this setup because when i went from hdmi on mini to a hdmi powered hub, the main display kept awaking from sleep in a non cooperative way..also pinkish screen

to further complicate this...i want to use both monitors with a win pc. also...not at the same time.......so i have a multi adaptor that is only vga...so i would need to adapt backwards from vga to the mini somehow....haven't tried that yet!
Okay, the mirroring makes sense now. (I was a rock band drummer, ages ago.)

I’m not clear on #1. So the data cable is USB-C on one end and on the other… is it HDMI which in turn connects to an HDMI-DVI converter?

For #2, if I understand right, the data cable is HDMI on one end connected to the mini, and DVI connected to the monitor. That makes more sense to me. But is it possible to get your hands on a USB-C/Thunderbolt to DVI cable? That will make the connection simpler and will take HDMI out of the equation.

I’m thinking of having both monitors, which I now know to be DVI, connected directly to the Thunderbolt connectors of the Mac mini. If you will need an additional Thunderbolt port, a hub should provide additional ports.

Reaction score
Okay, the mirroring makes sense now. (I was a rock band drummer, ages ago.)

I’m not clear on #1. So the data cable is USB-C on one end and on the other… is it HDMI which in turn connects to an HDMI-DVI converter?

For #2, if I understand right, the data cable is HDMI on one end connected to the mini, and DVI connected to the monitor. That makes more sense to me. But is it possible to get your hands on a USB-C/Thunderbolt to DVI cable? That will make the connection simpler and will take HDMI out of the equation.

I’m thinking of having both monitors, which I now know to be DVI, connected directly to the Thunderbolt connectors of the Mac mini. If you will need an additional Thunderbolt port, a hub should provide additional ports.
t-bolt is the same as usb-c? any idea about simultaneous connections?..ie the monitors have two ports...vga and dvii....i can have both vga ports going the PC and the DVii ports to the mac, since both comps won't be on at the same time. Do usb-c hubs behave differently than usb a hubs? or hdmi hubs?

really like Linux Mint, so my PC is dual boot...mint and (yucch) win 10...just for the rare app that won't run on linux...linux is so fast and behaves exactly like an OS should, with zero bloat...but...sometimes i get lost in the command line terminal tweaks...luckily there is an excellent mint forum and chat line...being open source draws open minded and helpful people, unlike MSoft..

if i counted how many frustrating hours Mr Gates owes my for no good reason, it would make me as rich as him....well...not quite...but still...rushing out versions when they're still full of bugs is not good karma...

im very new to mac...like it but somewhat perplexing...the logic thereof...why they don't have a version of Win+E is beyond me...always struggling to find things....why have 2 download folders...1 under my name and the other under computer name???

Reaction score
t-bolt is the same as usb-c? any idea about simultaneous connections?..ie the monitors have two ports...vga and dvii....i can have both vga ports going the PC and the DVii ports to the mac, since both comps won't be on at the same time. Do usb-c hubs behave differently than usb a hubs? or hdmi hubs?

really like Linux Mint, so my PC is dual boot...mint and (yucch) win 10...just for the rare app that won't run on linux...linux is so fast and behaves exactly like an OS should, with zero bloat...but...sometimes i get lost in the command line terminal tweaks...luckily there is an excellent mint forum and chat line...being open source draws open minded and helpful people, unlike MSoft..

if i counted how many frustrating hours Mr Gates owes my for no good reason, it would make me as rich as him....well...not quite...but still...rushing out versions when they're still full of bugs is not good karma...

im very new to mac...like it but somewhat perplexing...the logic thereof...why they don't have a version of Win+E is beyond me...always struggling to find things....why have 2 download folders...1 under my name and the other under computer name???
USB-C is just a connector standard with 24 pins. It can transmit USB, Thunderbolt, and other signals (including DisplayPort, HDMI, DVI, VGA, etc.) The two USB-C connectors on the back of your M1 mini are Thunderbolt connectors using USB-C configuration. But a USB-C output is not necessarily Thunderbolt. The two USB-C ports in front of my Mac Studio are just USB 3.1.

The main advantage of HDMI over DVI or VGA is that it carries not just the video signal but also audio. In your case, I don’t think it will be an issue.

If you are going to need addition Thunderbolt outputs (not just two) for your setup, you will need a Thunderbolt hub, or dock, to provide additional ports. I would stay with DVI for your monitors.

Ask a Question