Serious Startup Problems

Reaction score
Hello,

I have never had any trouble starting up my mac powerbook G4 titanium (operating system OSX 10.4 - most current update) until today. I was alerted to a microsoft office update and I agreed to it without even reading what it was. After it finished, I figured it was time to restart my system, which I usually do daily. Upon the restart, the startup got *almost* all the way through, but then froze at the last screen - the one directly after the 'starting up OSX' screen with the progress bar. After the progress bar completes, it goes to a final screen that is just blue with a dial that never stops circling. I've tried many times, and occasionally the mouse will appear, or the screen will flash to different shades of blue, but it never makes it past that blue screen, no matter how long I wait.

I have also tried zapping the PRAM a few times by using the apple key + alt/opt key + p + r function. I am very nervous about my files because I have years of digital artwork stored without backup as well as years of CD's ripped into my itunes, not too mention gigabyte upon gigabyte of digital photos. I'm much more worried about my data than anything, but I would certainly like to continue using my G4.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time,

Devin

Ask a Question