Serious bother with MacBook temperature & fan

Reaction score
I've been researching this for a while now and tried all the suggestions. Nothing has worked...

Story is this. I have a mid-2009 MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3. It started having temperature and fan issues in the summer of 2011, but when doing the hardware test it came up with an error and I used Apple Care to get a fan replaced. It's been working fine from then until now.

I thought it was the same thing again. Fan goes up to 5000rpm+ with only Firefox running. Temperature right now shows as CPU 64. But after doing all the wee checks (resetting SMC, doing hardware test, checking processes in Activity Monitor) and nothing coming up, I'm at a loss.

I would be really grateful if you lovely people could help me out. :)

Laura

Reaction score
I'd say its Flash then, or another internet plug in, but most likely Flash.

Reaction score
Hi,

Also make sure there are no popup windows awaiting a response in any application like Fire Fox etc.

Reaction score
Hi,

Open System Preferences, click on Accounts, click on the Login Items tab. Highlight your user name and see what's loading on startup.

Edit:

Also make sure there are no popup windows awaiting a response in any application like Fire Fox etc.

Okay... here's what I have....

GrowlHelperApp
GrowlMenu
iStumbler
Camouflage
SurplusMeter
ActivityMonitor
SurplusMeterAgent
iAntiVirus

and that's it.

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry I edited my post as the first paragraph was for another user.
iAntiVirus might be the problem. I would recommend you fully remove it then run the Mac for a while and post back results.

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry I edited my post as the first paragraph was for another user.
iAntiVirus might be the problem. I would recommend you fully remove it then run the Mac for a while and post back results.

I uninstalled iAntiVirus. I'll shutdown and start afresh tomorrow and see how it goes. :) Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi,

Did not twig you posted that thread sorry, my answer is the same delete iAntiVirus. Run the Mac for a while and post back results.

Personally would not use an AV for Mac as it is not needed, Norton really is intrusive and embeds itself deeply.

Reaction score
Hi Laura,

Alos what OS X are you running, as I believe iStumbler now needs MacPorts for instillation on Lion / Mountain Lion.

Reaction score
Hi,

So as long as your iStumbler release is 98 that is fine.
http://istumbler.net/archive/release98/

What's weird is, I can't find the application iStumbler to find out the details. Seems it doesn't exist. Maybe that's why it says kind unknown in the login items tab.

Anyway, I started up just now and without any programs running other than those in login, the WindowServer was running at 27.4, and now with just Opera open it's at 31.2. Weird.

Reaction score
Hi,

27.4 still seems high and looking through your startup list Camouflage is desktop interactive. My only suggestion as something is still using your WindowsServer continually is to remove all in your startup list then run the Mac checking system monitor and reload the programs one by one and monitor. Laborious I know but can't think of a quick fix to find the culprit.

Reaction score
Hi,

27.4 still seems high and looking through your startup list Camouflage is desktop interactive. My only suggestion as something is still using your WindowsServer continually is to remove all in your startup list then run the Mac checking system monitor and reload the programs one by one and monitor. Laborious I know but can't think of a quick fix to find the culprit.

Hey there, I meant to come back here a while ago... I now have nothing on the start up list and the problem is still there. My system has been up 9 minutes, the fan is at 4739rpm and WindowsServer is at 22.5%. Opera is at 38.9% :s

Is there anythin else I can try? I retried the hardware test and it still says there's nothing wrong.

Reaction score
Hi,

Think it would be good to book a GB session, as possible the hardware test was not conclusive.

Ask a Question