Serious bother with MacBook temperature & fan

Reaction score
Genus Bar,
You said you have replaced fan once before, so just maybe this is another hardware issue.
Only other suggestion I have is as you do not use the win partition any more do a clean install of OS X and start over.

Reaction score
Only other suggestion I have is as you do not use the win partition any more do a clean install of OS X and start over.

I don't think I've ever used it.

Would increasing the RAM make any difference? I have 2 1Gb sticks.

Reaction score
Hi,

Increasing RAM can always benefit, but as you say you never use win personally would OS X clean install.

Reaction score
Hi,

Increasing RAM can always benefit, but as you say you never use win personally would OS X clean install.

I've been working on it :) Been burning stuff to disc in order to have room to do a Time Machine backup on my external hard drive. I've also upgraded the RAM to 4Gb. Currently the wee pie chart is mostly green, woohoo! And I have no page outs and no swap used. That's the first time in a LONG time. Sitting on my lap, the CPU temp is 60, and the fan is at 4298rpm. WindowServer is hovering around 20% so I think the next stage is to do the clean install...

Reaction score
Big problem :-( I did the clean install last night and something went wrong when I was doing system updates. I ended up with a screen that said something about a debugger called panic. I've tried resetting SMC, PRAM, putting it into safe mode (it won't do it), and reinstalling again. Cant get the hardware test to start up either. I don't know what to do :'(

Reaction score
Hi,

What were these updates?
Try booting with the boot CD hold down the C key after the chime.

I was updating from the fresh installed 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 or 8, I can't remember.

I've reinstalled from the disc by holding C several times. It does the reinstall, but then goes to the panic screen upon restart.

Also, I got the hardware test done eventually. No problems found. Bleh. And I forgot to mention that the safe mode screen does come up but the cursor doesn't blink or register any keystrokes.

Reaction score
Hi,

Re these panic's defiantly feel A GB session would be your quickest solution. The hardware test is informative but not conclusive, and panic's are not good.

Ask a Question