Any "toilet" Users Here? Seriously. No Joke.

Reaction score
Greetings,

I posted the following message elsewhere, but I wanted to post it on this forum as well, in the hope that someone here can help me to resolve an issue that I have been having with the "toilet" command line tool.

Briefly, in recent months I have been discovering some very cool command line ASCII and ANSI tools, such as jp2a, imagemagick, libcaca and toilet.

Unless you are into ASCII and ANSI graphics, and are involved in running a BBS, these little programs will probably be of little interest to you.

However, if you are knowledgeable of such things, right now I am having a problem figuring out how to export an ANSI graphic from toilet to a text file on my hard drive. I can't figure out if the file is even being created, and if so, where it is being exported to on my hard drive. According to one Debian user on the mewbies.com website, the graphic should be exported to the "working directory", which in the case of a Mac OS X user, I assume means the Home folder. However, I see nothing being created there.

If you are familiar with toilet, please let me know. I have looked at the man page, but while it briefly discusses the --export parameter, it does not specifically say where the graphic is exported to on an OS X machine.

Thanks in advance.

Ask a Question