serious ibook problem

Reaction score
model is 14" 1.67ghz the model just before the macbooks came out i think

problem first started last year just once, it started up with a sound thats something
like a hoover/vacum cleaner but not as loud of course, lasting 5 seconds, then you hear the typical mac sound for start up. it didnt reach desktop start up. i unplugged, it removed the battery and tried again - it worked

it didnt happen again until id say 6 months later, same thing happens. when i remove the battery and replace it will work. sometime just disconnecting the main power suppy works, BUT it still starts off with that hoover sound

now its becoming difficult to start it up, even after removing the battery and placing it back in

tonight i couldnt get anything from it, so i pressed the restart button, held it down, got that beep, held down the C key and began starting up BUT it stalled on the apple icon start up.

so, i just pressed it down again let go and let it restart, got that hoover sound again, but finally reached desktop.

i am worried what this is, im thinking it might be a battery near its end

i have this machine almost 3 years

any help, advice or similar experiences greatly appreciated

this is my first post, as i googled 'mac help' and it gave me this site

many thanks in advance

adomino

Reaction score
model is 14" 1.67ghz the model just before the macbooks came out i think

problem first started last year just once, it started up with a sound thats something
like a hoover/vacum cleaner but not as loud of course, lasting 5 seconds, then you hear the typical mac sound for start up. it didnt reach desktop start up. i unplugged, it removed the battery and tried again - it worked

it didnt happen again until id say 6 months later, same thing happens. when i remove the battery and replace it will work. sometime just disconnecting the main power suppy works, BUT it still starts off with that hoover sound

now its becoming difficult to start it up, even after removing the battery and placing it back in

tonight i couldnt get anything from it, so i pressed the restart button, held it down, got that beep, held down the C key and began starting up BUT it stalled on the apple icon start up.

so, i just pressed it down again let go and let it restart, got that hoover sound again, but finally reached desktop.

i am worried what this is, im thinking it might be a battery near its end

i have this machine almost 3 years

any help, advice or similar experiences greatly appreciated

this is my first post, as i googled 'mac help' and it gave me this site

many thanks in advance

adomino
Here's some info.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

Ask a Question