Sending pdfs & images between a Mac & a PC

Reaction score
Hi

I'm a PC owner and my business partner an iMac owner. We're having problems sending eachother documents. Two problems:
1.) I'm creating pdfs on Quark7 which contain text and images. The images are jpegs or tiffs, but when the pdf is opened on the iMac she can't see any of the images. She says she's using Acrobat to open them. I've checked with friends and they have no problems seeing the images. Jane even has problems seeing the images from the pdfs on our website. Any ideas?
2.) She has some Hi- res jpegs that she has dragged onto her iMac and renamed. I need these images to resize and drop into other pdfs however, although I can see the images in the email she's sent me, when I try opening they open as html files and so save as such then the "file is not recognised" when I want to open them and resize them. It's driving me mad. I think her iMac is converting the jpegs when she drags them on to her computer, but she doesn't know into what. I have no idea about Macs and neither does she!

Please can somebody help.:(Thanks
Zoe

Reaction score
Zoe,

1) Since the problem is affecting other areas, I wonder if your friend's computer has other technical issues. Ask your friend to repair permissions. According to Apple, occasionally the user permissions associated with files or applications become damaged, which can prevent a file or application from working as it should. See this article. So, you might want to try to run Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility). Open the application, select the mounted volume for your hard drive and click "repair disk permissions."

2) When she renamed the files, I wonder if she changed the extension, too. She should open the original file, do a "save as" and let the Mac also add the extension. Your suspicion about the Mac converting the jpegs to something is probably true -- but it's the user who's likely causing the error, not the Mac. You should be able to help with the saving part. It's the same in the PC and Mac. I believe PCs also have the same "save as" command.

Ask a Question