email sending messages and also putting them in Draft or Archive

Reaction score
When I send an email out it gets sent, but sometimes it also pops up in Drafts or Archive with no action on my part. In addition, when I'm reading my mail from my in-box I select the mail I want to read, it opens, I start to read it and then it goes blank and I get a message "no message selected". I go back to inbox and select the same message and it opens and stays open until I close or delete it. I don't understand why this is happening - and only sometimes it is not consistent. I spoke to apple care and they had me re-install the operating system - it's still doing the same thing! Any ideas what this could be or how to fix it? Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

A few questions to get us started:

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X?
-How many email accounts are you using?
-Do you have the email account(s) setup on other Macs/iOS devices?
-Who is the email provider?
-Is the email account setup as POP or IMAP?

C

Reaction score
Hello Cory: Thanks for your reply. Here are the answers to your questions:
Mac Model: iMac- Retna 5K, 27 inch, Late 2014. Processor: 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Version of OS X: 10.10.4
Email Accounts: I have Comcast email, iCloud email, Yahoo email and Gmail. I rarely use Yahoo & Gmail and am slowly switching from Comcast to my iCloud email address.
Email on other Mac/iOS devices: No separate accounts set up on any other devices. Of course, all the above email accounts are shared via iCloud to my laptop and iPhone.
Email Provider: Comcast
POP or IMAP: It seems that iCloud and Google/Gmail are set up on POP and Comcast is on IMAP -- not sure how this works but it's been this way from the date of purchase and the email problem just started about 6 weeks ago.

Hope this helps.
John

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...thanks for the additional info.

-Does it happen more with Comcast or iCloud emails?
-Do you have the disclosure triangle activated so you can see the individual inboxes listed?
-Do you have a Time Machine or other backup of your data? (highly recommended)

You could try selecting each inbox in the list, then click on Mailbox > Rebuild in the menu bar.

C

Reaction score
It happens with the iCould emails.
I do have the disclosure triangle activated and can see all my mailboxes.
I do have a Airport wifi and time machine for backup.
I will take your suggestion and see if it helps. Many thanks!
John

Ask a Question