SOLVED Sending email problem

Reaction score
On my wife's Mid 2009 Macbook Pro, running 10.11.6 El Capitan, her Mac 'Mail' program will not SEND emails'

Mail was not working at all earlier this week and when I contacted our provider Shaw.ca it had been shut down because of a Spam/Compromise problem ( no notification of this from Shaw) .

With their help I was able to change passwords and get to the point where Shaw Webmail is working for both Send and Receive and Mac Mail will receive emails but still cannot Send them. Shaw say that because the Webmail is working the problem must be in the program somewhere.

I have checked the server settings and the Outgoing Server name and Port and they are as they should be.

There is probably some switch that I am just not throwing but anything further than what I have done is beyond my capabilities?

Would any kind person take the time to reply with help in this problem if you have any ideas about what else I could try. Might it possibly help if I uninstalled 'Mail' and reinstalled it .... what problems might that cause, assuming that it's possible to do that ?

Thanks in advance for any ideas that might be forthcoming.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello.

Uninstalling/re-installing Mail won't have any affect, since it is a settings issue.

-Is all of her email stored on her Mac or on the Shaw server - you can see in the left pane in Mail where any mailboxes are setup.
-Have you tried going to  > System Preferences... > Internet Accounts and entering the new password for the Shaw account there?

C

Reaction score
Thanks Corey for your reply.
- As far as I know her email is on the Mac if this is the default situation. I don't recall doing anything to get anything up on Shaw. I don't see what in the Left pane of Mail that gives indication where the mailboxes are set up. I have attached a Screen Grabshot of this area so that you can see. Something that is puzzling is the Message at the bottom of this column saying " sending 25 of 28 messages" ... this has a blue progress bar just above it and the quantities change from time to time.

- I have done the Internet accounts thing and entered new password and checked settings for the outgoing SMTP server.

Sorry but when I try to attach the file of the Screen Grabshot, that is on my Desktop, it is greyed out in the list of items that are on there and so I cannot attach it. The file has a .tiff extender and I had sent it form my wife's computer via her Shaw Webmail.

Thanks again for your help in this matter

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the additional information. Screenshots need to be in JPG or PNG to work best here.

Here are some screenshots from one of my old Macs running El Capitan that may help:
mailboxes.png
mail accoounts.png

If she doesn't have any mailboxes/mail stored in the On My Mac section, and the account is setup as IMAP, then all of her mail is stored on the Shaw server (IMAP) and can be accessed through webmail, the Mail app, or mobile devices with the account setup.

The easiest way to fix things is as follows:
-Completely quit the Mail app
-In  > System Preferences... > Internet Accounts, click on the Shaw account to select it, then click the minus button in the lower left of the window and click OK to delete it.
-Then, click the + button and re-add the account and see if that resolves the issue.

It may take some time to re-sync the mail once you set it up again, especially if she has a large number of emails in her inbox and any user-created mailboxes.

Of course, it is alway recommended to have a current Time Machine or other backup of you data before taking invasive troubleshooting steps, so that you don't lose any information.

Let us know how that goes, as there are other more complicated ways of editing settings.

C

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the additional information. Screenshots need to be in JPG or PNG to work best here.

Here are some screenshots from one of my old Macs running El Capitan that may help:
View attachment 3215View attachment 3216
If she doesn't have any mailboxes/mail stored in the On My Mac section, and the account is setup as IMAP, then all of her mail is stored on the Shaw server (IMAP) and can be accessed through webmail, the Mail app, or mobile devices with the account setup.

-In  > System Preferences... > Internet Accounts, click on the Shaw account to select it, then click the minus button in the lower left of the window and click OK to delete it.
-Then, click the + button and re-add the account and see if that resolves the issue.

It may take some time to re-sync the mail once you set it up again, especially if she has a large number of emails in her inbox and any user-created mailboxes.

Of course, it is alway recommended to have a current Time Machine or other backup of you data before taking invasive troubleshooting steps, so that you don't lose any information.

Let us know how that goes, as there are other more complicated ways of editing settings.

C
Most of her mailboxes show to be on Shaw with one On My Mac but it has no content. A quick question aside if I may,. Most of the mailboxes on my Mac Mini are on shaw as well. What determines if they are on the Mac or on the server .... I don't recall specifying where these mailboxes were to reside.

Reaction score
Most of her mailboxes show to be on Shaw with one On My Mac but it has no content. A quick question aside if I may,. Most of the mailboxes on my Mac Mini are on shaw as well. What determines if they are on the Mac or on the server .... I don't recall specifying where these mailboxes were to reside.

C
I have deleted the Shaw account from the Internet Accounts list but am at a loss as to how to add it back in. I've tried misc Help menus but nothing directs me as to how to enter a new item to this list.

Reaction score
Another point is that my wife is not receiving Mail on either her iPhone or iPad. This occurred at the same time that she started having problems with the email on her MacBook.
It's OK ... I have managed to get the Shaw Mail account back into the Internet Accounts list.

Reaction score

C
Thanks a million Corey ... removing and reinstalling the Shaw Mail account in the Internet accounts list has got my wife's emails sending again , Yippee she'll be thrilled, Just have to try and figure out what to do with her iPhone and iPad that aren't receiving any emails. Great for now though and once again many many thanks for your patience and timely advice ~ Peter

Ask a Question