Sending Address Book birthdays to Omnifocus

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to get Automator to export birthdays from Address Book into an email message (which can send them to my Omnifocus task list).

Here's what I have in Automator:

File > New > iCal Alarm

Actions > Contacts > Filter Address Book Items
Find people where all of the following are true: Birthday is exactly X days from now

Actions > Contacts > Get Contact Information
Check First Name, Last Name, Birthday; check Combine Names

Actions > Mail > New Mail Message
Set To: to Omnifocus maildrop address

Actions > Mail > Send Outgoing Messages

The mail goes through just fine and ends up as a new task in Omnifocus, except that the name and birthday from the Get Contact Information action don't get passed through to the message (in either the subject line or the body). What am I missing?

Reaction score
Hallo,

This isn't really the part of Automator I know well, but as far as i can tell, you're not giving any input to the 'filter address book items' action. In effect, you're filtering nothing, but since you're making a new email message and sending it, it's looking to you like it's found a person with a birthday coming up. There is a 'find people with birthdays' action - maybe you need to use that? So long as you find someone, and then do:

get contact information
new mail message

the body of the email should contain the birthdayperson's details. If you want the details to appear as subject instead, you could put 'set value of variable' after 'get contact info', make a variable called 'details', and then rightclick the 'subject' box in 'new mail message' and add the variable there.

Tschau!

Ask a Question