Screen freeze

Reaction score
While using the mouse to scale around web pages, more often that not of late, my screen freezes. The mouse still scrolls around, but buttons on the screen do not work. After 45 seconds or more sometimes, it goes away and all is ok...till the next time...it is getting very annoying. Wondering if there is something I can do or if it is just the "age" of my Mac. Thanks! It just happened when I tried to click on create thread!

Reaction score
Need a lot of information to try and help you:

1. What exact Mac model do you have?

2. What exact Mac OS are you using?

3. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective?

4. Are you making backups to an external device?

5. How much tree space is on your internal drive?

6. Do you have any third party applications on your machine?

7. What browser are you using? Have you tried other browsers?

8. What brand mouse are you using? If it is a third party one, do you have the latest drivers for it?

Reaction score
I hope I can answer your questions correctly. Taken from my "AboutThis MAC" screen:
OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5. i Mac 21.5 inch Mid 2010 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3

I have not done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs from a software perspective.
I do not backup to an external device.
Tree space? if this is the Macintosh HD drive, I have 403 GB free of 499 GB.
Third party applications? Like Bead Tool, which is a jewelry pattern making application? Ace Money; Bejeweled; GoToMeeting; VMWare Fusion; Sophos Anti-Virus; Turbo Tax and Zinio Reader 4.
I use Safari and have not tried other browsers.
I use the apple mouse.

Thank you for your interest in helping me!!!!

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information.

Not doing any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs is not good. If you had been doing it, then trying to narrow down what is causing your issue would be easier, and most likely, more successful.

Also, not doing any backups is troublesome also. There will come a time when you will have an issue that will require a backup. It's not a question of "If", but "When".

About the only potential "problematic" third party app is Sophos Anti-Virus. As long as you are careful, there is really no need for an Anti-Virus program on your Mac. You should get rid of it (and all its "pieces"). The best way to do that is to first download and install the excellent, free third party app AppCleaner. You can get it from here:

https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

Given that you are using Yosemite, you need to get Version 3.4, the first one on the list. When you launch it, just drop the icon for Sophos (should be in your Applications folder) onto the appropriate spot on AppCleaner. It will then find all the pieces associated with Sophos, along of course with the app itself.

I don't use an Apple mouse, preferring ones made by Logitech. But I assume you have the latest drivers for it via Yosemite.

I see you have VMWare Fusion. Do you have a Windows partition? And if so, does the mouse work fine there?

Finally, you should try another browser. Either Google Chrome:

https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/

or Opera:

http://www.opera.com/computer/mac

will be fine. I use Chrome as my primary one (it's much faster than Safari), but I am also using Opera more and more (also faster than Safari).

Ask a Question