Samsung t1 SSD UASP compatibility

Reaction score
Macbook Pro 13" early 2015, Yosemite 10.10.4

Can anybody please tell me whether connecting a Samsung T1 (or any other USB 3 UASP) SSD to the above will result in the use of the extra UASP superspeed please.
Thank you

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-What kind of transfer speed are you looking for?

If you are looking for the fastest external hard drive speed, then an SSD (using SATA 3 interface) via Thunderbolt is the way to go. USB (even 3.0) is a far inferior interface to Thunderbolt, because of it's inefficient protocol and controller architecture.

C

Reaction score
Thank you Cory. The speed is any ssd speed that is faster than a spinning hard drive on USB 3.
The device I mention has a SATA 3 system and a bridge to USB 3 where supposedly the UASP driver increases throughput to true USB 3 speeds rather than the usual 'real world' speeds normally seen. Anything Thunderbolt is rather expensive for my shallow pockets.

Reaction score
MacBook Pro Retina 13" early 2015.

Just in case this helps anybody else.
Events rather overtook this thread due to the urgency of my need. I purchased the Samsung T1 and after a few seconds of installation of its Sata driver it was up and running.
It is a very good thing that it is tethered by its USB ribbon cable lest it float away due to my breathing and its light weight (or lack of weight).
A initial speed test with BlackMagicDesign showed a read speed of 432 MB/s and write of 409 MB/s

[Edit] A real world test of copying a Photo collection from Samsung to internal drive... 31GB took 50 seconds. That is using the exFat format that the device came with. I may convert to HFS+.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
-So, I assume that your question was answered by your purchase?
-Are those the speeds you were looking for?

C

Reaction score
Correct. Hopefully I have not misdemeaned by not specifically saying that.
The speeds are fantastic compared to anything I have been used to for external storage and I cannot imagine needing faster, my brain wouldn't notice.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...I was just making sure that you're original issue was resolved.

Sounds like you are happy with the purchase, which makes us happy for you. ;)

Enjoy

C

Ask a Question