Additional 2 Samsung curved 27 LED Monitor with imac 27'' having only 1 mini display port

Reaction score
i have an imac 27'' that has only one mini display port and no thunderbolt display ports and i want to add an additional 2 Samsung curved 27 LED Monitor. is it possible to do this? does the Samsung curved 27 LED Monitor works with this imac? here are the specifications for the Samsung curved monitor:
Resolution : 1920x1080
Aspect Ratio : 16 : 9
Respond Time : 4ms
Brightness : 300cd/m2
Input : VGA / HDMI / Audio in.
and here is a link to the monitor http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS27D590CS/ZA
my imac has ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850 card. imac 27'', late 2009 intel core i5, 20gb memory.
any assistance would be appreciated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, I believe you can only connect a single additional display to the model iMac. You would need a newer iMac with dual Thunderbolt/DisplayPort ports or a Mac Pro with multiple graphics cards/ports to enable connection of multiple external displays.

A single monitor of that model is supported and will work with your iMac however.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, I believe you can only connect a single additional display to the model iMac. You would need a newer iMac with dual Thunderbolt/DisplayPort ports or a Mac Pro with multiple graphics cards/ports to enable connection of multiple external displays.

A single monitor of that model is supported and will work with your iMac however.

C
hello, thanks for your response.
i have seen seen different people on the apple website that use multiple monitors with the same imac model as me and it works fine by connecting the second monitor through the usb port and apple rep on their support section also answered a question with someone using the same imac model as me saying they can use 2 external monitors, one attached to the mini display port and the other through usb but they delay in answering questions on the apple support page.
my question is, can a double curved monitor be good or can be attached to my imac? the resolution of the curved samsung monitor each is Resolution : 1920x1080 and my imac has ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850 card. any answers will be appreciated. thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend going the USB route...as it's not officially supported by Apple. Some folks may have found a solution using a USB adapter, but I am not familiar with them or their functionality.

Yes, you can attach one of the Samsung monitors to the Mini DisplayPort and it will work at its full resolution. Unfortunately, that is about all the advice I have to give.

Hope it helps some,

C

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend going the USB route...as it's not officially supported by Apple. Some folks may have found a solution using a USB adapter, but I am not familiar with them or their functionality.

Yes, you can attach one of the Samsung monitors to the Mini DisplayPort and it will work at its full resolution. Unfortunately, that is about all the advice I have to give.

Hope it helps some,

C

hello Cory,
thanks once again for your post. I would like you to visit this youtube upload and see the vid a guy posted about what i was taking about earlier: a mini display port and a USB connection for 2 additional monitors.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Thanks for think to the video - it's interesting. About $70 USD he stated in the video.

I still cannot comment on whether it would work, but feel free to try it out at your own risk. ;)

Good luck!

C

Reaction score
Thanks for think to the video - it's interesting. About $70 USD he stated in the video.

I still cannot comment on whether it would work, but feel free to try it out at your own risk. ;)

Good luck!

C

From what i've seen so far from other forums, the resolution on the monitor attached through USB wont be great compared to the monitor attached to the mini display port.
If anyone has any suggestions, please send your posts as it would be appreciated.

Ask a Question