Safari: I click on a link to download a file. But the website gives an error stating they don't support deep links.

Reaction score
Safari: I click on a link to download a file. But the website gives an error stating they don't support deep links.
Hi I am helping a friend and I have no Mac experience. He was able to download a file with Safari. But subsequent attempts to download files from the same web site gives and error stating the site does not support deep links. He can download the file using Chrome fine. I am not clear if he did anything in the interim to change the behavior of Safari. I suspect something like a file association for the type of file he is trying to download was changed. Any ideas? Anyone seen this before? Thanks! Safari version 13.1.2. Sierra 10.13.6 iOS.

Reaction score
There has been some chatter about this on the Apple dev forums concerning iOS and also Safari but I didn't see any solutions or even what the issue is. That is a result of a quick Google on the subject...what web site in particular are you having the issue with? I can test it but I am on Big Sur so not sure we would have similar results.

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. This website converts small JPG images into 'C' files that can be used in coding projects for small displays. A hobbyist type thing. So you upload a small image under 300kb, hit the Make button and download it. Like I say, my friend was able to do it once in Safari but not since then. Works fine in Chrome on the same machine. Thanks.

Reaction score
So I used a small image that met the site's requirements (< 300kb) and it uploaded and converted to a ".c" file just fine. I then clicked the download your file link and it downloaded fine. I used Safari 14.1.2 on Big Sur 11.5.

Sorry I wasn't able to duplicate your problem.

Ask a Question