Safari and Chrome windows - faint shadow inside the frame

Onz

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Hope this is the right place to ask. I have searched a lot on google but can't find anything specifically for this as the search results all point to a different issue with the same keywords.

I've realised that Mac OS is applying a small shadow on the inside of the frame for safari and chrome - this is different to the window shadow that is commonly asked about. I really need to disable this because I require a completely white background in screenshots I'm using for a website.

Really appreciate any help.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Not sure I have run across this issue before...can you upload a photo (screenshot probably won't capture it) of the issue?

C

Onz

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Attached is a screenshot of a Chrome browser window with google search results, I've put the screenshot on a white background so that you can see the shadow. This also occurs on Safari, and it occurs on any website.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 8.49.37 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 8.49.37 pm.png
    222.4 KB · Views: 106

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry, I missed your reply.

That looks like the normal shadow effect in macOS. You could try a few things:
-Use full screen mode for Chrome/Safari when taking screenshots
-Hide the Dock and Menu Bar
-Enable  > System Preferences... > Accessibility > Display > Reduce Transparency

See if any of those help the issue.

C

Onz

Reaction score
Hi Cory, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately none of those suggestions were able to fix the issue

Reaction score
Okay, I see now that you are referring to the drop shadows of elements in Google Chrome. It is part of Chrome’s appearance, and the shadows are not of the window itself but of certain elements on the page. I looked through the Appearance setting under Preferences, including the advanced section, and there seems to be no control over how those drop shadows are rendered.

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 8.37.23 PM.png

I assume the shadow from the search field is what you are referring to…

Onz

Reaction score
Hi Tony. I'm not referring to the drop shadows, please refer to my attached image in a previous message, this occurs with both Safari and Chrome

Onz

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion, my original image included an accidental arrow - please only notice the arrow at the top pointing to the edge of the window

Reaction score
It looks like you have a sidebar on the left edge of the Chrome window. I don’t use Chrome enough to even know how to turn this sidebar on and off, but if you can disable it, that drop shadow should disappear.

Perhaps we are using different versions of Google Chrome. I have version 92.0.4515.107.

Onz

Reaction score
I appreciate your help but it seems you're misunderstanding the issue, there is no sidebar and it's not a problem with chrome

Reaction score
Why don’t you take a couple more screen captures, and importantly, it should be of the whole window, not just a selected area. And if the problem is not with Chrome, do it with Safari. Are you familiar with capturing whole windows in macOS?

Onz

Reaction score
no, that will only confuse you further, the current image demonstrates the issue perfectly, I'll await Cory's reply. Please stop commenting on this thread.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
no, that will only confuse you further, the current image demonstrates the issue perfectly, I'll await Cory's reply. Please stop commenting on this thread.

TonyAguila is only trying to help...no need to ask him to stop commenting. He may be referring to the Dock as the sidebar.

It does seem to be the default shadowing in macOS, and in your original image it looks like the Dock (on the left side of the screen) casting an interface shadow on the left edge of the browser window.

I took a couple screenshots on my Mac:

With the Dock visible (as in your screenshot)
dock.png

With Chrome in full screen mode (which hides the Dock as I mentioned)
full_screen.png

Try either hiding the Dock, or use the browser in full screen mode and the shadow should go away.

C

Ask a Question