Running programs together

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry for the not-very-specific title. I wasn't sure how to phrase the question.

I use iWork, especially Pages, pretty frequently, and I have had a pretty good experience, but there's one thing I miss: an autosave feature.

I downloaded the apparently great program WorkSaver, but it has limited usefulness because it is a separate program instead of a plugin for iWork or Pages.

I would like to be able to run WorkSaver automatically when I open an iWork application, and if possible, quit WorkSaver automatically when I quit that application.

Is there a setting or control for something like this? or maybe another third-party application? Or some sort of script? I don't know anything about scripting, so please be specific if that is the best option.

Thanks for your time

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry for the not-very-specific title. I wasn't sure how to phrase the question.

I use iWork, especially Pages, pretty frequently, and I have had a pretty good experience, but there's one thing I miss: an autosave feature.

I downloaded the apparently great program WorkSaver, but it has limited usefulness because it is a separate program instead of a plugin for iWork or Pages.

I would like to be able to run WorkSaver automatically when I open an iWork application, and if possible, quit WorkSaver automatically when I quit that application.

Is there a setting or control for something like this? or maybe another third-party application? Or some sort of script? I don't know anything about scripting, so please be specific if that is the best option.

Thanks for your time

When launched, WorkSaver puts it's icon in the upper right menubar at the top of your screen, it's through this icon you can set the autosave prefs:

20100908-fm4payuke817w3arixrt3dux2n.jpg

Where is the WorkSaver.app currently stored? Is it in your Applications folder? When I downloaded it it went straight to my download folder. When I unzipped the WorkSaver.zip file, the app was unzipped to the same folder.

I then dragged it my System ~> Applications folder (I was asked to Authenticate by entering an Admin username + Password) and once I had done that, I launched System Preferences (it should be in your Dock) and clicked on my User Account in the left window to highlight it, then I clicked on "Login Items" tab, to the right of the left window.

20100908-bagi7tecpund8whw88y4uw56h2.jpg

Click on the + symbol to add WorkSaver to the list. Navigate to where the app lives and click "Add".

Don't worry about placing a tick in the box to the left of the app, as WorkSaver runs in the background anyway.

When you are working on a Pages document, I think you initially need to manually Save your doc and then WorkSaver will autosave as per the settings you choose in the pull-down menu in my first piccie.

Hope this helps :)

Reaction score
Thanks for your help! I already know how to add startup items, but I was hoping for something more like what I described in my first post. I don't want to have the program running constantly when I'm not even using iWork, and I don't want that menubar icon hanging around all the time.

Would something like Butler work? I haven't ever used it, because I don't have much of a need for complicated or repetitive tasks, and I don't like the fact that it's not free...

Or again, I know almost absolutely nothing about AppleScript or that sort of thing, but it seems like there would be a way to do this...

Ask a Question