Running out of memory messages

Reaction score
Macbook air 4,1, 2 GB RAM, logical volume capacity 59.44 GB used 16.94, apple ssd internal physical disk capacity 60.67 GB used 60.09 GB getting running out of memory messages, when playing mini clip pool. Only software installed is Clean my Mac 3. Has any one any suggestions please.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-That is a MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2011) correct?
-Which version of OS X?
-Where did you get the two differing numbers for drive space - "logical volume capacity 59.44 GB used 16.94, apple ssd internal physical disk capacity 60.67 GB used 60.09 GB"?
-I highly recommend that you uninstall CleanMyMac, as it has been known to cause far more issues than it fixes.

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...it is showing that your drive is pretty much as full as it can get - "capacity 60.67 GB used 60.09 GB". You need to free up some space immediately, as your Mac may not startup or freeze without any room for the OS to operate.

Do you have any files you don't need, or that are backed up on another drive, that you can delete immediately? Examples would be downloaded DMG/Installer files in your Downloads folder, movies purchased in iTunes that could be deleted and re-downloaded later, files in the Trash that have not been emptied, etc.

C

Reaction score
Sorry running Sierra 10.12.2, would downgrading to El Capitan help

Operating system is installed on "logical volume capacity 59.44 GB used 16.94,Is there anyway I can delete files of other drive and how do I go about it if its possible to do so.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No, as it is a disk apace issue, not a Sierra issue. If you downloaded and installed Sierra recently, then the installer may still be in the Applications folder and can be deleted to regain approximately 5 GB of space.

C

Reaction score
Sierra installer was not in application folder. Have uninstalled clean my Mac 3

I am newbie as you have probably guessed, was just thinking I might have Sierra installed on the

APPLE SSD TS064C Media internal physical disk also by mistakes there any way of finding out

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Are these the two sources in Disk Utility you quoted from:

applessd.png

logical.png

If so, they are actually referencing the same SSD drive. The APPLE SSD is the drive itself, and the Macintosh HD (Logical Volume) is just the partitioned part where macOS Sierra and your files reside. If the Available (Purgeable + Free) space in the bottom photo is less than 5 GB or so, you need to delete some files as I mentioned previously.

C

Reaction score
Yes these are the two sources I quoted from I have 48.86 GB free in bottom picture and 714.3 MB purgeable. I want to thank you for the time you are spending with me .

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, then you have enough free drive space.

-What browser are you using to play Miniclip 8 Ball Pool? Safari with Adobe Flash Player installed?
-Have you tried playing it in Google Chrome?

C

Reaction score
Yes safari with Adobe flash.Have not tried Google Chrome, will give it a try. What cleaner do you recommend in place of Clean My Mac 3 ? And thanks again.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Definitely let us know the results with Chrome.

I don't recommend any "cleaner" apps. Give us a little more information on what you were using it for, and we'll advise.

C

Reaction score
Yes much better on chrome, no warning messages.Was using clean my Mac for cleaning hard drive and maintenance . Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Yeah, Google Chrome is definitely speedy! I had been using Firefox for a number of years, but it was too slow. Opera is another good browser, not quite as fast as Chrome, but definitely good.

As for disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, you can do some disk cleanup on your own, and on a daily basis. The "easiest" one is permanently removing EMails that you delete. I use Outlook 2016 for my EMail needs, and I need to press an additional key to have deleted EMails permanently removed. Not sure, though, about other EMail programs, nor how to do it.

Also, if you download any updates, you should get rid of the prior one/ones. Typically, such updates wind up in your downloads folder. Myself I move such updates to another location on my internal drive (SSD in my case), inside a folder entitled "Useful software". That way, I can easily keep track of all the updates I have.

As for software for doing the job, I use two products. One is the excellent, well reviewed, FREE, and solid program called Onyx. You can get it from here:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

Note that there is a specific version for each Mac OS, so in your case, you would download Version 3.2.2. I have been using it for so many years, and I depend on it. Its main features are cleaning our various stuff. But it also can Repair Permissions. Supposedly, ever since Apple released El Capitan, the Mac OS takes care of permissions. But, I don't buy it, as when I run the Repair Permissions feature of Onyx, it finds permissions which need repair.

The other product I use is TechTool Pro: http://www.micromat.com/. That is another excellent, well reviewed program which has been around for a number of years. It has a number of useful features.

Besides my daily cleanup, once a week (usually on Saturday), I run Onyx and Tech Tool Pro for disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, and SuperDuper! for my backups. I do this for both of my Macs, and I make two backups for each machine, to two separate external devices (SSDs). By doing that, I rarely, if ever, have issues. And both my Macs run fine, along with being "lean and mean".

One other thing that is important is to keep up to date on your software, especially any third party ones you are using. Some products have a "Check For Update" feature, and can download and install updates "automatically". However, I myself like to have the actual updater file/files myself, in case I need them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, Google Chrome is definitely speedy! I had been using Firefox for a number of years, but it was too slow. Opera is another good browser, not quite as fast as Chrome, but definitely good.

As for disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, you can do some disk cleanup on your own, and on a daily basis. The "easiest" one is permanently removing EMails that you delete. I use Outlook 2016 for my EMail needs, and I need to press an additional key to have deleted EMails permanently removed. Not sure, though, about other EMail programs, nor how to do it.

Also, if you download any updates, you should get rid of the prior one/ones. Typically, such updates wind up in your downloads folder. Myself I move such updates to another location on my internal drive (SSD in my case), inside a folder entitled "Useful software". That way, I can easily keep track of all the updates I have.

As for software for doing the job, I use two products. One is the excellent, well reviewed, FREE, and solid program called Onyx. You can get it from here:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

Note that there is a specific version for each Mac OS, so in your case, you would download Version 3.2.2. I have been using it for so many years, and I depend on it. Its main features are cleaning our various stuff. But it also can Repair Permissions. Supposedly, ever since Apple released El Capitan, the Mac OS takes care of permissions. But, I don't buy it, as when I run the Repair Permissions feature of Onyx, it finds permissions which need repair.

The other product I use is TechTool Pro: http://www.micromat.com/. That is another excellent, well reviewed program which has been around for a number of years. It has a number of useful features.

Besides my daily cleanup, once a week (usually on Saturday), I run Onyx and Tech Tool Pro for disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, and SuperDuper! for my backups. I do this for both of my Macs, and I make two backups for each machine, to two separate external devices (SSDs). By doing that, I rarely, if ever, have issues. And both my Macs run fine, along with being "lean and mean".

One other thing that is important is to keep up to date on your software, especially any third party ones you are using. Some products have a "Check For Update" feature, and can download and install updates "automatically". However, I myself like to have the actual updater file/files myself, in case I need them.

Thank you so much for all your help and infommation in sorting this problem out for me. I am very pleased I joined this forum, with its very helpful people .

Reaction score
Thank you so much for all your help and infommation in sorting this problem out for me. I am very pleased I joined this forum, with its very helpful people .

I'm having a similar problem. I have been recently been getting a message that says I am out of application memory.

I have an iMac (right out of the box-no modifications).

This is what I see when I click on About this Mac:
macOS Sierra v10.12 (was El Capitan, but I upgraded).
Imac Retina 4K 21.5"
Processor 3.1GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8GB 1867Mhz DDR3
1 TB SATA Disk-896.99Gb available of 998.98Gb

I get the message when the machine is at rest-the ONLY thing running is Finder, and I get an error that I am "Running out of application memory".

I have NOT loaded it down with lots of software, because I'm new to Mac and really don't know exactly WHAT to load it down with.

Can ANYONE give me a hint or two how to remedy this error?

Thanks

Reaction score
Did you look at Activity Monitor, located in the Utilities folder, within the Applications folder? You can view processes by memory usage with it, and that might reveal the culprit/culprits.

Also, are you using the initial version of Sierra, OS 10.12, or 10.12.1 or 10.12.2? Another update, OS 10.12.3, recently came out. You can get the Combo Updater from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1905?locale=en_US

Additionally, do you have either MacKeeper of CleanMyMac? If you do, definitely get rid of them, as they are bad.

And do you useSpotlight for your searches? I don't, but in the past, it has been known to "eat" resources due to indexing of the internal drive. (That issue is a guess at this point).

A couple of more things:

1. Are you doing any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs?

2. Are you making backups to an external device?

3. Are you using any third party software on your machine? And if you are, is such software compatible with Sierra?

One other "issue", although it should not be related to "out of memory" issues, is that your iMac has a slow, 5400 rpm internal drive. Unfortunately, that is a detriment.

Last edited:

Ask a Question