!running fast to throw it out the window!

Reaction score
AGGh! I've had a technologically painful morning/day... so please bear with my frustrations. Three major issues right now. And one crazy scary question. First in regard to my ibook 1.42, 1 g ram:

Is 10.4.4 better, more stable – a good upgrade from 10.3.3?!?
I have had suuuuch issues with type organization – and have never recovered from innocently and destructively using font book 8 months ago. My widget fonts are barely legible, I’ve clean installed and updated three times. I have insanely long lists of fonts in all programs and they are not organized and difficult to control. What happened to the ease and simplicity of adobe ATM from years ago? I’ve picked up a design project (trying to come back again), and am petrified that there is no hope with all of my issues.
What do I do?!? Do I really need to erase my hardrive and reinstall and then do everything all over again? Or can you somehow ?seems impossible to fathom? Clean out your current system completely and reinstall – without reformatting your harddrive?!?

Is there some reason Microsoft 2004 (mostly Word) is seemingly on a straight up attack on my sanity and ability to get projects done? Is there another word processing program that you can seamlessly use with the pc world – I have to go back and forth often for work, and receiving and sending files to clients. This has happened seeeveral times now – with no seemingly direct correlation to running off the battery or plugged in. While typing in Word 2004 11.1.0 (therefore there is no reason for the computer to sleep (or I have paused for only 1-3 minutes; screen saver is set for 5 on battery and long time on adaptor setting)) the screen has switched straight to a black screen – I can hear the computer is still on, and sometimes, when I’m lucky I can barely see the widgets if I send my mouse to the hot corner. In the past 50%of the time closing and reopening the computer (as if waking from sleep) has brought the screen back alive. WHAT is happening?
I just lost major refinements on a paper I’ve been working on. Yes, I know I should save it every other second, but then what the fellz is auto save in Word for, and auto recovery and all that poop doing?! I have issues with Word in several different situations and computers lately.

Ohhhh, and I’m so distraught – my baby, my honey, my lovely original ti powerbook … when I opened it up yesterday, only 1/3rd of the screen was there. The rest of it is like a melted version of the colors behind it…. I’m so upset. Obviously it’s old – I know and screens are often the first thing to seriously go… and I’ve had issues many of times; but it’s been an amazing trouper… and I need it and I can’t handle it dying… isn’t’ there anything I can do? I was close to having everything backed up on it, but then I had to erase that to back up the quite erratic ibook a month ago when I was sure it was about to fritz out! Saving the ti – do I make it a target disc on my ibook via firewire to salvage it’s contents. Is there any hope? I have techtools, which I will try, but not until I have gotten this freakin paper out! (yes the apple care has run out) it was running 10.3.9 being as how I have reg numbers for that software, but not the new versions that run on 10.4….. ughhhhh.

I know I’m whining, I apologize but I am soo upset, too many issues at once on both computers leaving me loosing my work and my mind!

Reaction score
Whoa. Bad news all round. Sorry, I can't help with all your issues but lets try fonts first.
Download Linotype free Font Explorer X. Although its years since I used it, this reminds me of ATM.
Sort out font duplicates as this could be causing other problems than just some display issues. This may even be what is making Word act erratically.

As far as the Ti Book. Have you run the Apple Hardware Test on it?

If you boot with the os disk that came with it holding down the alt key, you should be able to boot from into the Hardware test and run it to get a better idea of why your screen is SNAFU.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

Point 1.

10.4.4 is fine I have had no issues running smoothly...now on 10.4.5

Have you got any font management software ?

Try http://www.linotype.com/fontexplorerX it's free and works very well.

I have been a user of Extensis Suitcase for years but it is has had a lot of problems since OS X. From what I can see the latest updates appear to make it work quite well on Tiger now.

If you are having stability problems back it all up erase and install...reconfigure and then start using FontXplorer, it should be a lot more stable.

Point 2.

Presumably you need to be able to save the Documents as Word format for others to see...there are quite a few Apps that allow you to open Word Docs and then edit, resave as Word Docs etc.

Have you thought about PDF files or is this not practical...you could use any Text editing software and then save as a PDF, all customers every where can read PDF's, and depending what software they have they can then 'mark them up' etc...

Try openoffice.org this software does what Microsoft Office does but for free.

Point 3.

Yes target disk mode is a quick way of backing it up, but you need something like Carbon Copy Cloner to back it up properly. Unless you are just going to copy your User files etc...

On one of your 10.3 CD's should be the "Apple Hardware Test" try booting from that to see what's up with Screen.

Back up the drive via target mode first, the chances are that if the Screen is dying your hard drive should be fine, as should the data on it.

Sorry to here of your woe !

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
...oops didn't see Paul's post, nice answer, must have posted whilst I was writing !

Yes, all as what Paul said...the font problem is probably creating the Word problem...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I have been a user of Extensis Suitcase for years but it is has had a lot of problems since OS X. From what I can see the latest updates appear to make it work quite well on Tiger now.

If you are having stability problems back it all up erase and install...reconfigure and then start using FontXplorer, it should be a lot more stable.

ut oh,
this is stupid question... but more so because i don't want to hear it....
by back it all up > you mean back up my computer/like the whole hardrive??
that i can do - and need to, no worries...
by erase and install > do you, gulp, mean erase the system!?! and install or
erase the whole hardrive and reinstall 10.4.1, and update to 10.4.4
and therefore every program as well....
and recopy data over?
and what about everything else?
i would assume i would only copy data back, not
prefrences etc??

no reason at all why i've avoiding asking this; not at all!

oh, and pdf's are practical and what i send out always to windows programs and macs, i love pdfs (was a designer - definitely know the benifits) but not when I'm trying to update a file or continue working on it; or need to simply have a copy at work (windows) and at home (mac) that's editable and not a pdf.

as always, thanks!

Ask a Question