Run classic software on OS 10.13?

Reaction score
Is it possible? From what I've learned recently, Apple shipped OS 10.4.4 with the first intel-based Macs. Presumably 10.4.4 would include the Classic environment to run that old software. So, is that OS 10.4.4 still available somewhere, and would it also run on my intel i5 iMac?

And, if that doesn't work, apparently OS 10.6 includes Rosetta software that can be installed as an option. Though somewhat restricted, Rosetta is supposed to run Power PC applications, no? I suppose that OS10.6 would install on my iMac. Is that a realistic option?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello again,

Really wish you would keep posting in your original thread, instead of new threads with each question, as it is easier to keep track of everyone's input and suggestions. ;););)

Which exact model iMac is it again?

Even the old iMac Mid 2010 i5 quad-cores will only run 10.6.x Snow Leopard or later. No support for anything before that. As the models get newer, they will only run the version of OS X/macOS that was shipped on them.

C

Reaction score
Sorry about that new thread. The computer is a 2011 iMac quad core, i5, now running OS 10.13. Do hope I can install 10.6 in a separate partition, activate Rosetta, and so run Power PC apps like Photoshop Elements, which is compatible with OS 10.5.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...it is just easier to keep it all in one thread.

Is it a Mid or Late 2011 iMac? You can check in  > About This Mac. The Late 2011 will not run Snow Leopard as I mentioned.

It may be best to simply use an external drive to install Snow Leopard on, instead of partitioning your internal hard drive. Either way, you will have to restart to use Snow Leopard.

Here is a little about Rosetta: Snow Leopard: Installing Rosetta

C

Reaction score
Thanks, Cory. The computer is Mid 2011, so may be able to run Rosetta, and some of the apps compatible with OS 10.1 - 10.4. I'll find out.

Reaction score
Yeah! My Mid 2011 iMac does run on OS 10.6 which can include Rosetta. So now, with 10.6 in one partition, I run Photoshop Elements intended for the 10.1 - 10.4 systems. Also, my wonderful, simple, effective Cannon scanner is also viable in that partition. Don't need to toss it in the trash.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Excellent...glad you found a solution.

Did you get Matematica running as well?

C

Reaction score
Wish I had. I can run OS 10.6 with Rosetta on this Mid 2011 iMac, but no earlier versions of the operating system. In particular it won't run OS 10.1 - 10.4, with their Classic environment. As far as I've been able to tell, Parallels will not emulate the 10.1 - 10.4 systems from 10.6 - 10.13. So, I'll move the old eMac, with its system 10.4 (and Classic), to another room and run Mathematica there when I need it.

Thanks, Cory.

Reaction score
Yes, this is a diversion from the topic (a bit), but I've found it's simply easier to keep older Mac Towers around. I have an earlier Intel machine with 10.4, and a dual-2.66 running 10.7. The wife complains about "all that electricity", but she doesn't complain when I'm able to rescue her old data...

And yes, I always keep a separate startup drive with the different OS. Just reboot and you've got a whole new (old) computer.

Reaction score
Wish I had. I can run OS 10.6 with Rosetta on this Mid 2011 iMac, but no earlier versions of the operating system. In particular it won't run OS 10.1 - 10.4, with their Classic environment. As far as I've been able to tell, Parallels will not emulate the 10.1 - 10.4 systems from 10.6 - 10.13. So, I'll move the old eMac, with its system 10.4 (and Classic), to another room and run Mathematica there when I need it.

Thanks, Cory.
You can network the eMac via ethernet to transfer files. I still keep a PowerPC for certain legacy chores. Storage is cheap these days. I keep a number of external drives with partitions for different OSs. I still use SnowLeopard occasionally. iTunes doesn't like one of my monitors and will balk at playing movies if it's connected. Not so in SnowLeopard.

Reaction score
Is it possible? From what I've learned recently, Apple shipped OS 10.4.4 with the first intel-based Macs. Presumably 10.4.4 would include the Classic environment to run that old software. So, is that OS 10.4.4 still available somewhere, and would it also run on my intel i5 iMac?

And, if that doesn't work, apparently OS 10.6 includes Rosetta software that can be installed as an option. Though somewhat restricted, Rosetta is supposed to run Power PC applications, no? I suppose that OS10.6 would install on my iMac. Is that a realistic option?

I have those 2 10.4.4 Disks that came with my early 2006 iMac Core Duo. You require both disks because disk #2 has ilife 06 on it. This is the only set of disks that will install on this iMac. I am about to put it up for sale on Kijiji in Barrie, Ontario Canada about 50 miles north of Toronto. The screen is a "matte" masterpiece, absolutely gorgeous. I am accepting any reasonable offer. I am now using an early 2008 iMac Core 2 Duo at 2.6 Giga Hertz, am about to upgrade to El Capitan from Yosemite. This is my only Apple computer, I don't want to be locked into the Apple Eco-System, so I also have a Microsoft Surface 2 tablet + a Moto G5 android phone. I just love the iMac desktop so reliable.

Reaction score
I have those 2 10.4.4 Disks that came with my early 2006 iMac Core Duo. You require both disks because disk #2 has ilife 06 on it. This is the only set of disks that will install on this iMac. I am about to put it up for sale on Kijiji in Barrie, Ontario Canada about 50 miles north of Toronto. The screen is a "matte" masterpiece, absolutely gorgeous. I am accepting any reasonable offer. I am now using an early 2008 iMac Core 2 Duo at 2.6 Giga Hertz, am about to upgrade to El Capitan from Yosemite. This is my only Apple computer, I don't want to be locked into the Apple Eco-System, so I also have a Microsoft Surface 2 tablet + a Moto G5 android phone. I just love the iMac desktop so reliable.

Ask a Question