Running OS 10.4 on an Intel i5 processor

Reaction score
Is it possible to run system 10.4 (with its OS 9 emulator) on my computer, its an iMac quad core i5? Is there some sort of emulator for that?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

The only way to run 10.4 on your i5 iMac would be using an app like SheepShaver, which can run OS 9 standalone, not in Classic mode. It does work, but it's a bit clunky.

Is there a particular reason you want to run 10.4 Tiger w/OS 9 Classic?

C

Reaction score
Hello,

The only way to run 10.4 on your i5 iMac would be using an app like SheepShaver, which can run OS 9 standalone, not in Classic mode. It does work, but it's a bit clunky.

Is there a particular reason you want to run 10.4 Tiger w/OS 9 Classic?

C
The only reason I'd run OS 10.4 would be to get the OS 9 emulator. I'll try SheepShaver. In particular, I don't want to buy new Mathimatica software. My old version is adequate for my use.

Thanks, Cory.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

I am not sure you could get Mathematica installed in OS 9 using SheepShaver. In addtion, I doubt it would work very well at all, as it can be a resource-hungry application.

Not sure if something like Parallels with 10.4 installed would allow OS 9 Classic emulation. It would be far better suited for running applications like Mathematica. You could contact Parallels, or check their user forums about that.

C

Reaction score
No worries.

I am not sure you could get Mathematica installed in OS 9 using SheepShaver. In addtion, I doubt it would work very well at all, as it can be a resource-hungry application.

Not sure if something like Parallels with 10.4 installed would allow OS 9 Classic emulation. It would be far better suited for running applications like Mathematica. You could contact Parallels, or check their user forums about that.

C
Thanks, again, Cory. I'll check out Parallels.

Reaction score
I completely sympathize with Mr. Devereux. Which is why I ran SheepShaver up until I upgraded to El Capitan. SheepShaver won't run on anything later than Yosemite. And the SheepShaver developers have abandoned it, to my everlasting sorrow.

SheepShaver was a real pain in the butt to get configured just right anyway.

This is why I justify keeping my G4 MDD in a corner so I can still run legacy software that I can't or won't upgrade. The last time I dumped a lot of coin into Adobe's pockets was when I ponied up several hundred dollars to purchase the Creative Suite 4 Master Edition. After paying Adobe thousands of dollars over the years for Photoshop and Illustrator upgrades, enough was enough. And there is no way in hell I'm going to rent software from Adobe.

Besides, with every Photoshop upgrade, there are so many new features it would take me a decade to learn, use or let alone, appreciate. For that matter, Photoshop Version 3 was probably my favorite version since it did everything I needed with simplicity and speed, and without being a resource hog. And it was always another pain in the butt to learn how Adobe had re-arranged/changed commands, features, etc.

Ask a Question