Reprogram keyboard?

Reaction score
I made the mistake of buying a PC keyboard, which seems to work fine in most cases, but in Mail, an apostrophe shows up in emails received by others as a black box �. Is there someway to fix they keyboard layout?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X?
-Which brand/model keyboard?

It should work as an actual Mac keyboard for most functions, although some may be different than what is printed on the keys themselves.

You can use the Keyboard Viewer app - System Preferences... > Keyboard > Show keyboard and emoji viewers in menu bar. It should show you how the keys are mapped.

C

Reaction score
macmini mid-2010, OS High Sierra, logitech K360 wireless

Under Keyboard> Input sources I see a diagram of the keyboard in which the apostrophe is in fact an apostrophe.

Maybe the problem is on the receiving end of my correspondent. If I type an apostrophe here, it shows up as ' . The emails look OK, but when they're quoted in a reply, all those black boxes replace the apostrophes. This did not happen in the past, so I tend to suspect the new keyboard.

Ask a Question