Replacing MBP Screen - Different Cables

Reaction score
I am trying to swap a cracked 13-inch Macbook Pro Screen(lid) with one from another MBP that has been gutted. Both computers are 2010 and have the same model number of A1278 but on one the serial number and text on the back is in white text and the other the text is printed in black. The screens appear the same but the book with the black text has 3-wires(for Bluetooth, and Airport antennas) that connect together and then to the motherboard on the left. The white texted one has a longer wire that goes in one main path all the way to the motherboard.

Black Text Model Number Connection:
HV4RogdQOP6KSkS3.jpeg

White Text Model Number Connection:
2CuX4NnYgJAYMCVV.jpeg

I am very confused why the same models of the same computers from the same computers don't have compatible screens. Any way to make the White text model screen attach to the black text one? Any information on this would be helpful.

Reaction score
If you're not a trained Apple Tech with the correct Apple documentation, you're just guessing.

The screen is not a user serviceable part.

Reaction score
I am following multiple detailed guides, in fact its very easy to do if the pieces were the same. But even if we ignore the replacing, I am curious why 2 computers of the same year and the same model have very different screen wiring.

Reaction score
If you were and Apple Tech you would know that its not comparing the model number but the Configuration Code, and even then in some situations you need to look at the part and order the correct part, as different factories may be using slightly different parts.

Reaction score
Yea but on further research the different systems act very different, one only relays camera data and the other extends the antenna for the airport and bluetooth. So basically 2 very different systems in very similar computers. Apple sure is confusing.

Reaction score
Apple sure is confusing.
No, because its not a User Serviceable part and Apple provides trained Apple Technicians around the world who know these things. Apple goes to great lengths to ensure that all User facing plugs and sockets are not confusing.

You may also find that screws that look to be exactly the same are not the same and if you get them in the wrong place or the right place on a different CC they cause strange and permanent faults. Its not easy even with the Training.

Ask a Question