Replacing an EFI chip in a MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I have a MacbookPro with a defective EFI chip and I see that there are some available for sale on ebay (cheap) and as I have unsoldered and replaced BIOS chips from Intel boards, it looks to be within my competence to do. I am concerned that a new EFI chip on the logicboard would perhaps give the notebook a different serial number.

As far as Apple is concerned, am I legally allowed to carry out this work myself?

Is there a problem if the new serial number does not line up with the serial number on the case?

thx

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Since Mac logic boards aren't a user-serviceable part, and Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers don't do component-level repairs, there isn't much guidance we can give. In addition, Apple doesn't sell board components/chips to anyone.

I am not sure of the actually legality of performing that type of repair, but I do know that it is definitely not supported under Apple's licensing and warranty terms.

I would assume it would give a different serial number, and Apple does have blank board serializer software, but it is only available to Apple technicians and some third-party repair facilities.

Sorry,

C

Reaction score
It's an old out of warranty machine and really I'm just doing this job for entertainment. So, just losing warranty possibilities is the only problem with a different serial number? It would act like a normal apple machine vis-à-vis facetime, the cloud and imessages?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Understood.

Not sure what the serial number discrepancy would mean to Apple. I meant that if you repair a Mac that is under warranty at all yourself, you will void the warranty.

I have no way of knowing how it would act, as it something beyond my years of experience.

C

Ask a Question