Problem with installing OS after replacing HDD

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I got a little problem. My sisters macbook (I believe from around 2006, the Model No is A1181) recently slowed down significantly, to the point where you just could not use it anymore. After some tinkering, I figured the cause of the problem to be a dying hard drive.

Since my little sister did not want the mac anymore and I also did not really need it, I thought I could just try some things, I would normally not. So I just took the hard drive from my very old and very broken notebook and put it in the mac.
It was not easy (I do not own the correct tools for the apple specific screws, but after some work I got it in).

Well, hardware-wise it apparently works. If I start the mac, it will try to boot up Windows 7 (which is still installed on the hard drive) and then just shut down, since it obviously does not work that simply ;D

Now to my problem: I don't know how to install a new operating system. I do not really care if it's any OSX, Windows or even Linux, because if I just get anything running, I can always change. But right now, nothing is working.

I might add, that the internal cd/dvd drive seems to be not working at all but I got an external drive that I can use.
I have several Windows copies and OSX 10.6 on a dvd.

I already did some searching and apparently in most cases you will need a running OSX to configure Bootcamp or something similar.

Is there any way, to install ANYTHING cleanly from the point where I am? With windows, I would just boot from the dvd and go on from there. I could not manage to get that to work here (maybe the external drive is not recognised, IDK...)

Thanks a lot in advance for any help,

suna

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The maximum OS X version would depend on the exact model of the MacBook, as model A1181 includes all MacBooks from the original 2006 through Late 2008. They came with Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.x through Leopard 10.5.x, and all support up to Lion 10.7.5.

-Do you have any of the gray OS X install discs that came with it?
-You won't be able to reinstall Windows directly, without having OS X installed and using Boot Camp Assistant.
-You can't install Linux directly either. You need OS X, Disk Utility, a USB flash drive, and and EFI boot manager.

If you don't have the OEM install discs, you can either purchase the retail disc version of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard from Apple, or take it to an Apple Store and they should be able to wipe the drive and install the version of OS X that came on the MacBook for you.

C

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for the welcome as well as the quick answer :)

I could not find anymore information on the outside of the macbook except a copyright from 2007 - maybe that narrows it down.
I will ask my sister if she still has the original grey disc.

Now, I actually only use Windows, the macbook is the only apple product our family has (hence so many questions). Can I create a bootable usb drive with osx on my Windows machine as well? After a quick search I found TransMac and may try this. Are there any other options, if this wont work?

Thanks a lot for your kind help :)

suna

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries, glad to have you with us.

You can enter the serial number (MacBook: How to find the serial number) here to get the model information: Check Your Service and Support Coverage.

Unfortunately, you can't use TransMac to create a bootable Mac drive. It can only read Mac disks, not run the Mac OS X Installer.

No other real options outside of using the OEM gray discs that came with it, purchasing the retail version disc, or have an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider installing OS X for you.

C

Reaction score
Luckily, my sister still had the original dvd. I made an image of it, put it on my usb stick (via transmac) and was able to reinstall osx on the mac book with it.

Its running smoothly 'til now. Yay :)

Thanks a lot for your help! See you around :)

suna

Ask a Question