Refillable HP ink cartridge, cannot print

Reaction score
I have been using refillable HP cartridges (printer HP envy 4500) but my Mac Por seems to have detected now they are refillable and printer does not work. Anybody could help me in disabling the printer? Thank you

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X?
-Which version of the HP driver?

Not sure what changed, but I do know that refillable cartridges aren't officially supported by HP.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

The driver of my HP is 2.0, and my OS X is Mac OS Sierra, version 10.12.

Could it my that HP has loaded my computer through internet with a troyan that discovers when you are suing a false cartridge ink, and then disables the printer?

Thank you so much for your help

Reaction score
Hello Cory,

Problems seems solved.

I uninstalled HP program and installed it again from the CD, but problem was still there.

So the shop gave me a third reusable ink cartridge (I have been working with this shop for already 2 years with no problem), I did not have great expectations and this time the printer did work, with both a Mac and a PC.

I have been looking through internet and I believe that the problem is that some printers protect the cartridges, so then the cartridges cannot be used in another printer. But I can say that the shop could use the 2 cartridges that would not let my printer work. So if anybody has a better idea of what is happening, would be very welcome.

Thanks you for your help
Maria

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I really don't have an answer other than the refillable cartridges are not officially supported by HP. There is a chip in each ink cartridge that allows them to communicate with the printer software to give you ink levels and such. Maybe HP has a unique identifier on their cartridges, and eventually that prevents the ones you are using from being compatible.

Sorry I couldn't have been more help, but glad it's working for you now.

C

Ask a Question