Reading CD's & DVD's

Reaction score
I've just bought a MAC G5 from a friend, which has OSX.5.8 Leopard installed, but I'm having problems reading CD's . I wrote a music CD and a data CD using the machine's writer, which worked fine, going through the whole process without any problems and asking whether to mount the disc on my desktop, which I did successfully, and the disc worked fine.
However, when I then re-insert the disc it comes up as "Untitled"and clicking on the icon shows a window which is blank with no data, as if it's a blank disc!
Would anyone be able to tell me if there is something I am doing or not doing that is causing this? Any help would be most grateful.

Reaction score
Hello,
Control or right-click on the disc's icon and choose "Get Info." What does the "info window" tell you?

Reaction score
Hi Walrus666,
I've checked the info and it says it's a "Burn Folder"with 8KB on the disc.I've tried the disc in my CD player and it works fine, with all the music tracks present, so I know the disc has been recorded.

Reaction score
Are you sure? That sounds like a blank cd to me. It's a burn folder and it only has 8 kb's of info on it. It sounds like you're using Finder to burn cd's. If you want to create audio or mp3 cd's that play in standard cd players, I'd recommend using iTunes. If you merely want to store your songs on a cd, Finder is fine, but you can achieve this as well using iTunes.

Reaction score
I know the disc has been written successfully, because I put the disc into a separate DVD/CD player, and it worked fine, just as a normal CD would do, with all tracks present and playing normally, so it would appear that the disc has been written successfully, but my G5 doesn't seem to be reading it.

Reaction score
Strange, usually when a drive doesn't like a cd or dvd, it will either not mount it and, or spit it out. Have you tried using different brands of cd's? How about dvd's? Incidentally, if you haven't done so, you might want to do an "erase and install" of the operating system, before you transfer your files to this Mac. If this is a software issue causing this problem, it should be resolved by doing an "erase and install."

Reaction score
It seems to me that the writer is working correctly, and even mounts the disc OK after burning, but for whatever reason it will not read the disc when I re-insert it! I'm reluctant to do a system erase and install, as I'm not too sure about what I would be doing, and also I have OSX.5.8 Leopard installed by the person from whom I bought it, which I guess I would lose, along with one or two other applications that have been installed.
Maybe that is what is causing this "Glitch"?

Ask a Question