Re-Installing applications via Time Machine

Reaction score
I want to wipe my iMac (intel) hard drive clean and restart from the beginning. I have perpertual backups in Time Machine, but I don't want to include everything that is currently on the back-up on the new, clean instance of Snow Leopard.

Is there a way to choose INDIVIDUAL applications for restoration from a Time Machine which will "automagically" :) install all necessary program parts so they will function in the new environment, or do I have to go back to the original install discs to having working applications?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi :)

Here is a document regarding Time Machine ... scroll down to you see this heading: Restoring specific files or folders (linky)

As for the second part of your question, I'm not 100% sure, it would depend ... but to hazard a guess it makes sense that you probably need to give a go and you'll know the answer sooner or later.

I have a System Preference app called AppTrap that I use to Uninstall apps. While some apps require their own uninstaller (usually comes with the installer), whenever I send an App to the Trash, AppTrap launches and shows me the related files and asks me if I want to delete them too.

What I'm getting at, is you could try sending the App/s in question and jot down the different files and their location then go to your Trash and drag the App back to your Applications folder (or just highlight the app and from the contextual Right-Click Menu, select "Put Back").

While this isn't the optimal solution, it's worth a thought :)

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions. I, too, use an app cleaner to try to get rid of all the messy parts, but when I look at the reviews of their success, they are apparently not perfect at finding everything the particular app uses. I'm afraid if I try that path I could end up with some stability problems.

I guess I will bite the bullet, hunt down the original discs, and then install the updates as needed.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I'm afraid if I try that path I could end up with some stability problems.

I guess I will bite the bullet, hunt down the original discs, and then install the updates as needed.

Wise move hshuman :) It's better to be safe than the proverbial.

Unfortunately, I don't have an external disc so I can play around with Time Machine ... so it's tricky to advise on matters concerning TM and restoring backups ... I hope to have an ext disc soon, our son is buying me one for my birthday :)

Be sure to pop back and let us know how it all went ...

Ask a Question