Installing applications on iMac after reinstalling snow leopard

Reaction score
i have an iMac running snow leopard which I am getting ready to sell. Each time it asks me to update the software,which I do. Then I get the message saying it needs to restart to complete the process. When I do this, the computer hangs and doesn't move. I left it on all night & it still hasn't coved. I cannot force quit as there is nothing showing on the desktop. Can anyone help please as getting an appointment with a genius is nie on impossible.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I am familiar with this issue happening in Snow Leopard. The best suggestion is to uncheck all of the updates that require a restart (they will have a little grey circle icon with a triangle in it in the list) and apply only the ones that don't. Once there are only a couple left that require a restart, check off one at a time and apply them, until you determine which one s causing the hang. Then, you can usually download that update manually from Apple's website and apply it outside of Software Update.

-Which version of Snow Leopard are you on currently?
-Sometimes downloading and installing the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 file manually will apply most of those updates and prevent the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

C

Reaction score
Thank Cory once again to my rescue. I found on the web that relaunching finder might help. So tried that & so far so good. & also decided to see which applications it was updating & unchecked those so,now just waiting. It has been a really frustrating couple of days as I would not dream of selling it not working properly. At least I can sort if find my way around the net & ask. If I now upgrade to Yosemete ( as there appears to be nothing in between) what problems will that cause.
Currently on 10.6.8

Reaction score
It is all sorted now Corey. Working like a dream on Yosemite.it was a matter of which discs to put in first, then I found that regarding my post before, I relaunched finder a couple of times & that seemed to have cleared whatever was causing the blip.
Many thanks again

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...glad it is sorted out. Yosemite is much more stable than Snow Leopard ever was.

Good luck with the sale.

C

Ask a Question