Re-Boot failure

Reaction score
I have a ten year old iMac. Last night I had a screen freeze, so I closed the system using the back button. But when re-starting it the same way, things seem to get stuck in the Recovery System load-up: the Apple logo appears, then the load-up progress bar appears, but, before that completes, I am presented with a completely blank white screen and nothing further happens. I have tried again using the Command + R routine immediately on start-up (before the Apple logo appears), which should (I think) give me the macOS menu with access to the Utilities menu.

If there was a disk failure, I would not expect to have got even this far. Appreciate any ideas on possible probs and next steps. Thanks

Appreciate any suggestions on possible probs and next steps.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,
  • Which exact model iMac?
  • What version of OS X/macOS?
  • Do you happen to know how much free space is left on the drive?
  • Do you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data?
  • Have you tried starting up holding the Option key to see if you can choose Macintosh HD?
It could be a partial disk failure that hasn't compromised the recovery partition, which would allow you to still startup from it.

C

Reaction score
Hello,
  • Which exact model iMac? 12,2
  • What version of OS X/macOS? High Sierra 10.13.6
  • Do you happen to know how much free space is left on the drive? about 780 GB (out of 1 TB)
  • Do you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data? Yes - saved onto an external drive
  • Have you tried starting up holding the Option key to see if you can choose Macintosh HD? I have now. The Mac HD image comes up but clicking on it doesn't get me in. I have also used the Shift Key (Safe Mode - held until Apple logo appears), which does seem to work but not all the time and the boot-up routine sometimes just loops. Even when I have managed to get in, I am now getting system crashes as well. I have managed to run the Apple Diagnostic tool (in extended mode) but it reports no problem detected. I have also run the Etrecheck routine, which has identified a "runaway process" that is using over 150% of CPU. Activity Monitor has pointed to a kernel task of some kind (but not sure what). Unfortunately, I'm not smart enough to analyse the Etrecheck report in detail or go much further without expert help.
It could be a partial disk failure that hasn't compromised the recovery partition, which would allow you to still startup from it.

C
Many thanks for your reply and attention. Next step is probably to visit my local Apple agent to discuss repair or replacement. Think I can foresee what the recommendation is likely to be !

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...

Feel free to upload the EtreCheck report in a ZIP file. I will be happy to take a look at it.

C

Reaction score
Many thanks, Cory. Zip file attached - hope you can open. Appreciate any further thoughts or suggestions.

Attachments

• etrechecknpas.zip
    264.5 KB · Views: 40

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

I downloaded the filed, unzipped, but my copy of EtreCheckPro 6.5.2 with Power User package couldn't read it for some reason.

I could read part of it using a text editor:
iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011)
16 GB RAM
High Sierra 10.13.6

See if it opens in EtreCheck on you Mac and possibly re-run or upload it again without zipping...

C

Reaction score
Sorry about the prob. For some reason, I cannot seem able to attach the original Etrecheck file to this post - they seem very wary of it being shared - but I have put the summary digest in the attached pdf file. If you can deduce anything of interest from this, I'd be grateful for your thoughts. Once again, many thanks for your attention.

Attachments

• Etrecheck report.pdf
    46.8 KB · Views: 101

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks...I was able to look at the report. If EtreCheck can run a full report, it doesn't sound like a failing drive.

A summary of what I can see:
  • You have plenty of free space
  • WhatsApp - has been known to have security flaws
  • F‑Secure - maybe try disabling any real-time or on-access scanning/protection
  • Trusteer Rapport - did this come from Bank of America by chance?
The runaway process could be any of the three listed above, or even Dropbox/Google Backup and Sync or Sony/X-Rite/Wacom/HP drivers, especially if they are older and need updated. I believe Google is phasing out Backup and Sync and replacing it with Google Drive.

Since you have a Time Machine backup, you may be able to try reinstalling macOS over the top of your current installation. It will simply replace macOS and leave your applications and data in place. Of course, if there is a hardware issue with the drive, then it will fail.

Yes, you could have an Apple Store/Service Provider look at it, as they can run surface scans and full diagnostics on the iMac.

Hope that helps a bit.

C

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks...I was able to look at the report. If EtreCheck can run a full report, it doesn't sound like a failing drive.

A summary of what I can see:
  • You have plenty of free space
  • WhatsApp - has been known to have security flaws
  • F‑Secure - maybe try disabling any real-time or on-access scanning/protection
  • Trusteer Rapport - did this come from Bank of America by chance?
The runaway process could be any of the three listed above, or even Dropbox/Google Backup and Sync or Sony/X-Rite/Wacom/HP drivers, especially if they are older and need updated. I believe Google is phasing out Backup and Sync and replacing it with Google Drive.

Since you have a Time Machine backup, you may be able to try reinstalling macOS over the top of your current installation. It will simply replace macOS and leave your applications and data in place. Of course, if there is a hardware issue with the drive, then it will fail.

Yes, you could have an Apple Store/Service Provider look at it, as they can run surface scans and full diagnostics on the iMac.

Hope that helps a bit.

C

Many thanks once again, Corel. I was advised to strip out third party anti-virus software like F-Secure, which I largely have. I think Trusteer was recommended by my own UK bank - again, now for the bin. Your reinstall of macOS suggestion may be a good one - if I can get in and the system will hold up long enough, but I have little to lose. Very much appreciate your time and attention to all of this. Neil

Ask a Question