Boot Failure

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro 2.5GHz core 2 Duo (2008) running Lion OS X. I shut it down the other night and it was working fine, but now it won't boot. It will power up and do a quick check of the CD drive, but that is it. Black screen, no drive noise, nothing. I have tried various keyboard combinations while booting and nothing that I have tried so far works. I was hoping that I could make a boot disk, but from what I have read so far it either can't be done or I would need a working Mac to make one.

The best I can figure is that I did something when I was using Terminal to change a few settings, but I am pretty sure nothing I did would have affected the boot up. And I am sure I have shut it down since I was using Terminal last.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

I was hoping that I could make a boot disk, but from what I have read so far it either can't be done or I would need a working Mac to make one.

Yes but you should be able to use any MBP running ML OS X.

Sounds like you have tried a few options but did you try Safe Boot? Start up your Mac while holding down the Shift key.

Reaction score
Luckily I do have everything backed up on my Time Capsule. I have tried booting in safe mode (and I think every other mode as well).

Reaction score
Hi,

Personally I would book a GB appointment ASAP at your nearest Apple store, as I feel this could be a hardware issue.

Only other option I see is use Snow Leopard disks to boot from, as I assume you bought them prior to the Lion upgrade.

Ask a Question