New twist on boot failure?

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new here and, yes, I did search the threads but didn't find my specific issue, much less any resolutions. That said, forgive me for posting a tired old issue...
I have been enjoying making music and videos with Logic Pro and FCP for about six years, first on a G5 PPC until it became apparent that I'd topped out without an Intel machine. (Well done, Apple. Force us into poverty trying to keep up. But I digress...)
I found a MP 1,1 quad Intel desktop on Craig's for just $300! Oh, happy day! Fast forward two years...
Last week I went to wake up my machine from about a half hour nap and its stock screen saver froze.
Forced shutdown holding power button and restarted.
Grey apple and spinning cog.......................... WSOD. Repeat, repeat, Google.
Learned key combination boot options.
Local Mac guru says HDD is failing.
Safe boot successful twice and I did save some files to my storage drive.
No. I'm an idiot. I've got 3 backups for my G5 projects but nnnooooo! No Snow Leopard backups!
2 safe boots and now no boot-up at all except a couple combination options. Verbose mode booted only twice but now fails during the cog spin and goes white.
So I bought a couple new 1TB WD Blues for a reload and backup.
With a new drive installed I popped in the Snow Leopard disc and sat back for a good wait. Nope. Apple and Cog, then WSOD again!?!
Google, Google, Google.
New button battery in my main board now but still WSOD.
Removed both the new drive and my storage drive and popped in Leopard 10.5 disc. WSOD.
Boot to options, remove DVD. Re-try with original 10.4 disc. No joy.
Since I see the apple and cog before each freeze, I'm not confident it's a gpu problem. (My G5 has a "NOS" card and a spare packed away for just in case... If the price ever comes down I'll stock up on gpu' for the Intel machine.... But I digress.)
Now... I did get a sort of report screen once by mistake from a key combo boot but I don't remember which... Sorry...
But since I can't use my desktop I can't post it. I'm posting with an iPad right now. If I ever get that screen back I'll just upload a jpeg from my wife's vista machine...
I read somewhere of a PSU fix -but with a mod and not an Apple (?) -and a logic board failure, the former of which I don't mind *that* much, but for the love of God, how much are replacement boards?
Is my only option to resume enjoying my expensive Apple Pro Apps to learn how to Hackintosh my home brew W7 rack mounted PC? I can't afford to keep up with Microsoft let alone the trendy, ergo prohibitively expensive Apple products that release every two weeks forcing us to spend, spend, spend. Sorry. My frutration has become septic.
That said, please, somebody help me!

Reaction score
Can't edit above, but if I can power this up in option mode and can see it on my monitor, why would I have a PSU or gpu issue, or even a logic board issue? My mind says no board, no nothing, PSU failure, nothing, and gpu failure, power with no visual. Make sense?

Ask a Question