Boot Linux external USB HDD

Reaction score
How to boot Linux USB HDD on 2006 iMac. OSX 10.6.8. The iMac sees the external drive. The external drive is mac compliant.

Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Will look at the link you sent. That is a mattgradient linuxmint for Mac install on the HDD. It is an install, not a live session like that is on a DVD or thumb drive.

Sorry did not mention this is a 2006 White Intel iMac. I believe you can boot from external drive on later Mac's

I have it running on a 2006 MacBook as well. Had to install it on the drive from a Dell Laptop and then put the drive into the MacBook.

I am trying to avoid slogging into the iMac to switch out drives. I would like to be able to boot to OSX 10. something or Linux. Do not want to do a dual boot from one drive.

I suspect it is not possible to boot from an external drive because of the Mac's firmware. I can not boot to an external drive from the MacBook running Linux either.

Ask a Question