rare (?) display problem- please help

Reaction score
My year-and-a-half old Air recently developed a problem with the display, where there is a rectangular strip taking up about 1/7 of my screen which is fuzzy and pixelated with inverted (?) colours. In the middle of this strip is a stripe with smaller stripes of colours inside. the two sides of the strip also mirror each other (when I scroll into one the cursor shows up in the other). This problem first appeared less than a year ago, and I took it into the Apple store. they said it was under warranty, and that the problem was rare and not caused by the user. They replaced the display and another part (I con't remember the name), told me it wouldn't happen again, and sent me on my way. The most recent episode was several days ago. Again I took it to the Apple store, and again they told me it was a rare problem and not caused by the user. They said they would have to do the same repairs, except this time my warranty is up and it would cost me over $600. On an Air that cost $1100 originally and isn't even two years old.

I know how confusing this might sound (I don't know much about computers, and any terminology is lost on me) but any information or advice would be a huge help. Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It sounds like a hardware issue...possibly the display and/or display cable.

-How far out of warranty?
-I assume you didn't purchase AppleCare?
-How long since the last repair? If it is within 90 days, Apple should cover it.

You should be able to either get a quote from another Apple Authorized Service Center, or see about the availability of a flat-rate, mail-in repair.

C

Ask a Question