RAM upgrade question

Reaction score
I have a 2009 iMAC with a total of 4GB of DDR3 RAM currently. It has been sluggish for awhile now.
I've checked the activity monitor and it always has the used RAM maxed out and there seems to be a lot of swapping activity to disk. Anyway, I am thinking of upgrading the amount of RAM to either 8GB or a full 16GB.
It has 4 DIMM sockets and two are currently populated with 2GB DIMMs.

If I purchase two 4GB DIMMs , can I install these and also use the two existing 2GB DIMMs in the other sockets?
This would give a total of 12GB.
Would this cause any problem, mixing RAM DIMM types???

Thx,
Rob

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, you can add two 4GB DIMMs for a total of 12GB without any problem. You won't be mixing RAM types, just sizes.

Here is a link to the specs you need and an install guide. Just select your exact model: Install memory in an iMac

C

Reaction score
Well, I upgraded by adding 2 sticks of 4GB each. Now have 12GB and the difference is night and day!
Everything is faster and crisper and I've yet to see the spinning "beachball of doom".
The activity monitor now shows RAM pressure very low and drastically cut down disk traffic.
: )

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Awesome...glad it helped. We appreciate you letting us know the outcome.

Enjoy,

C

Ask a Question