Quicktime installation gone wrong

Reaction score
I have: MacBook Pro, OS X 10.4, Leopard

After the most recent Quicktime update (I think 7.5), AVI files that were moved or added afterwards would play video, but no audio.

I tried to uninstall Quicktime in order to install version 7.2. I deleted the QT files from the Application and Library folders.

When I tried to install QT 7.2, I kept getting a message that the 7.2 installation couldn't be completed because a newer version was already installed.

So, I downloaded Pacifist and used it to install QT 7.2 and restarted the computer.

Now, the info that is normally in the upper right side of the screen is gone: the time, airport status, sound status, Spotlight icon, etc. And the Spotlight icon flashes randomly, but nothing happens if I try to open it. Quicktime still isn't installed properly and now iTunes won't open.

What should I do?

karazelle

Reaction score
First you should try to login as another user. If you haven't already created an account do so in System Preferences and try to login as that user. See if the problem is there as well.

If you get the problem there too, something has gone wrecked. What you might try then is:
- in Leopard: insert MacOS X DVD and run the custom installer tool to try to put the system components back

if that is not an option/didn't work, go to www.apple.com/support and download the "combo update" for your version of MacOS X and install it. It's a big download, but it tends to set things straight.

Let us know if the problem persists in other accounts, and/or if the other remedies helped?

Ask a Question